Riding a bike

ames_x

Mummy to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Any tips on how I can help LO with his peddling? He goes half way then backwards if that makes sense so never a full pedel all his friends are riding without stabilizers and he is getting a bit upset over it. We have explained he needs to go all the way around, showing him other kids cycling, demostrated ourselves etc

What my dad did with my son was tie some string to the bike and took him for a massive walk. He had his feet on the peddles so he learnt what to do etc. Then after a few goes he couple peddle by himself. He still needs stabilizers but its a step in the right direction.

Omar was the same with peddling & he used to get upset because of it. I don't know if you have those cars with peddles in parks for rent, we have them here in parks & some play areas, he learned how to fully peddle using then as the car will not more if he doesn't fully peddle unlike a bike

Jacob learnt to pedal in his smart trike, he'd sit in it for hours just in our garden and one day he got it. He then learnt to balance using his balance bike, so when he went to a pedal bike he went straight on with no stabilisers. Lots of praise and perseverance!!

See when he was younger he never had a trike etc just a scooter so he never used anything with pedals until he was in playschool around 2 1/2 and still hasnt mastered it as he always goes for the scooters lol.

Never seen them pedal cars omarsmum, i want to get him to practice everyday for an hour or so in the holidays but not sure where to start!

There's a chance that he hasn't actually got the ability to be able to peddle yet. 4 is still very young to be able to ride a bike without stabilisers so I wouldn't actually worry about that at this point. I think the average age is actually around year 1 of school.
I don't think it's something you can actually teach children. My 7 year old got it no problem and peddled a trike from about 18/24 months and could ride a bike without stabilisers from 4years. He was the only child in his year at school who could do this. We assumed our daughter would be similar. However she only learnt to peddle a trike at 4 1/2years and even now pushes herself along for a lot of the time. We tried to teach her but I think that physically she couldn't do it. She is delayed anyway but she's just had a course at the chiropractor and she doesn't have the proper range of movements that she should have and it's likely this caused her inability to be able to peddle so it's something that's worth looking into.

Hmm that's a tricky one

My 3 year old learnt to ride a bike with no stabilisers last Saturday but we have never used Stabilisers As he went straight from a balance bike to a pedal bike without stabilisers.

Maybe it could be more this? Rather then him not knowing how?
It might not be him not knowing how to pedal it might be he physically can't because he's not built up the leg muscles to do so.

When we were getting our son a balance bike the websites said the hardest part of going to a two wheeler with pedals was the actual pedaling because with a balance bike you don't have pedals so they have not built up the leg muscles with a balance bike like they would have with a bike with pedals.

I'm pretty sure my son has been riding something with pedals at nursery because it only took about 3 attempts before he got the hang of it and was off on his two wheel pedal bike.

A cycling instructor friend told me to take the pedals off so they get used to scooting about on just 2 wheels then slowly introduce the pedals back on the bike, I was going to do this but my neighbours teenage children took him out and have far more patience than I did and he was away doing it on his own within an hour :wacko:

My daughter can pedal and she still has sterilizers on and she aint ready yet. But i would love to know some good tips to help too

My son is the same, he won't peddle all the way around no matter how many times we explain and show him. He had a trike, but never had any interest in peddling it. I had hoped he would learn at nursery when he saw the other kids peddling, but he just chooses ride ons instead. I have no idea how he's ever going to learn, his bike has sat unused for months, he never asks to go on it. Too much like hard work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->