Roller Coasters in the 2ww??

Chris77

Mommy to PJ and Gavin
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I wanted to ask your opinion on something. We have a trip planned to Great Adventure on October 18th. When the trip was originally planned, I thought I'd have AF (or know for sure I was pg) and could then plan accordingly. But since my cycles have been a tad bit unpredictable, I was wrong in my dates and will now be in the 2ww when we go to Great Adventure. GA is ALL roller coasters. I told DH that I didn't want to take the chance on going incase we did manage to conceive this week or next, I don't want to dislodge our sweet pea. It'll most likely be too early to take an hpt by that time to know for sure as I normally have a 35 day cycle. I understand you still have to live while TTC but I'm just really uncomfortable with going on rides that are jarring and swing you up in the air at 80 mph. Any thoughts? Or am I just being ridiculousy cautious?? [/SIZE]

hey hun i personally wouldn't go on any (nothing to do with the fact i'm scared witless by rolercoasters!!) but i think it depends on how u feel about it ??if you don't feel comfortable then dont do it, at the end of the day you know your body best...
sorry i couldnt be of any specific help, didnt wana read n run

sara

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

TBH I'd say go for it. If it's meant to be, it'll be. You can't put your entire life on hold when TTC. It's up to you, but you hear about these women all the time who don't have a clue that they're pregnant until 5-9months, or even until they're born and they've carried on smoking, drinking, flying, etc. etc.

It's entirely up to you, go off how you feel on the day I'd say, you'll either be up for it, or be unsure. I dunno, it's just I'm a fate believer and if bean is going to stick, it's going to stick.

This is what I found on the American Pregnancy Association website

The answer is that riding a roller coaster during pregnancy is generally not a good idea. Although some pregnant women may ride them without consequences, in later pregnancy there is a risk that the fast stops and starts could lead to placental abruption. No one has formally documented the exact risk of this occurring, but the best course of action is to avoid any risk of placental abruption from a roller coaster by simply not riding the roller coaster while pregnant.

That said, riding a roller coaster in very early pregnancy (such as the early part of the first trimester) is probably not likely to cause a miscarriage. In early pregnancy, the placenta is at much earlier stages of development and is less likely to be affected by jarring movements. So if you are wondering whether riding a roller coaster before you knew you were pregnant may have caused your first trimester miscarriage, it probably didn't.

To be on the safe side, however, it makes sense to avoid riding roller coasters (and any other amusement park rides labeled as not suitable for pregnant women) at all points in pregnancy. Because no study has actually examined the likelihood of first-trimester miscarriage after riding a roller coaster, no one can say for certain exactly when it is safe and at what points the risk would increase. Plus, if you did have a miscarriage after riding a roller coaster (even if the ride had nothing to do with the loss), you would not want to look back and second guess your decision about riding the roller coaster.

Source

American Pregnancy Association, "Pregnancy and Roller Coasters." Mar 2007. Accessed

I still really don't want to risk it but feel like I'm being totally ridiculous. :dohh:

I dont know if you remember Chris but I went to Alton Towers in the 2ww. I couldnt not go bcus we were going with friends who dont know we're ttc & I couldnt come up with a good excuse x so I went & I rode every ride there was & tried to put it to the back of my mind & had a good day. Like one of the other girls have said what will be will be x
Its entirely up to you though hun x have you spoken to DH about it? what does he think?? x

Aah cheers for that. I was facing a similar google in some time as we are getting married in December and going to Florida so have Universal/Disney etc. to think about. If we don't catch this cycle, I might drop the TTC until the actual honeymoon instead of risking it.

I dont know if you remember Chris but I went to Alton Towers in the 2ww. I couldnt not go bcus we were going with friends who dont know we're ttc & I couldnt come up with a good excuse x so I went & I rode every ride there was & tried to put it to the back of my mind & had a good day. Like one of the other girls have said what will be will be x
Its entirely up to you though hun x have you spoken to DH about it? what does he think?? x

DH doesn't think anything will happen to sweet pea because it'll be sooooo early and may not have even conceived. But he told me to do what I feel comfortable with. :dohh:

DH doesn't think anything will happen to sweet pea because it'll be sooooo early and may not have even conceived. But he told me to do what I feel comfortable with. :dohh:

Your DH is a wise man x at the end of the day hun its your body do what you think is best x :hugs:

If you don't feel comfortable with it then I wouldn't do it, if you do turn out to pg you could end worrying til you get a scan etc.

I personally would go for it, as other have said people put their bodies through a hell of a lot more and have perfect babies, also it would be very earlyday.

TBH Chris, I personally wouldn't risk it, if the worst did happen afterwards I know I would always blame myself - but only you can decide hun :hugs:

Im pretty sure it is safe but I personally wouldnt do it (dont like rollercoasters anyway tho so im biased!)

Its up to you chick... if rollercoasters are your idea of fun then I doubt there is any medical reason to avoid them 'just incase' you may be pregnant

Also I think its emotionally worse if we avoid things we enjoy in the hope we are pregnant - then AF arrives IYKWIM? - sorta twice the disappointment

if you wanna go & have fun... I say go for it :D xx

I had this same question, which i why i googled it an came across this forum. I spoke with a nurse from my doctor's office and was told roller coasters are not a risk while trying to conceive. When roller coasters suggest no riding for pregnant women it is not the movement on the roller coaster that is the concern but more the lap bar pressing against your belly. A roller coaster could not provide an impact hard enough to dislodge a fertilized egg from your uterine wall (which was my concern).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->