Root Canal Vs. Tooth Extraction

Beltane

Mother of 3 Boys!
Reaction score
I need work done on one of my teeth and the cost for a root canal is about $2400 dollars. To have the tooth extracted is about half. I can't afford either! I hear that if you have the tooth removed, it can cause bone loss and other problems. I'm not sure what to do! Any suggestions?:cry:

I've never heard that.. I had root canal on my front tooth and had no problems since :)

I had a root canal done a few years ago, with no problems since. Never heard about an extraction causing bone loss! Is it a back or front tooth?

I've had root canal on a few teeth but last year I had to have a tooth removed as they couldn't do any thing else to save the tooth. If you can afford it I would have the root canal treatment, I hate having lost a tooth and it took me a long time to be able to eat properly. You can lose some bone as part of the extraction process, it depends how difficult the tooth is to get out, but if you have a good dentist they will try and minimise it.

I had a root canal done a few years ago, with no problems since. Never heard about an extraction causing bone loss! Is it a back or front tooth?

It's a molar in the back.

You can get bone loss from losing a tooth, over years, that is why if you see an elderly person who has no teeth it looks like their face is sagging, due to bone loss.
If you could hun I would go with the root canal, but a word of warning sometimes a root canal can end up as an extraction if it doesnt go to plan. Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->