• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sad story

paintrider89

Reaction score
However something to keep in mind about forceps as some of us get closer to labor.

Sad article warning..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...dies-skull-spine-broken-forceps-delivery.html

That is an incredibly sad story, but it's important to remember that no birth is risk free. During a c-section, baby can be injured by the scalpel and the risks to the mother's health increase substantially. Even during a natural birth, things can and do go wrong. Birth is risky. Historically, women and babies died in numbers too huge to contemplate today. You can find stories of tragic outcomes for any type of birth-spontaneous natural, induced, c-section, instrumental. Birth is risky.

It's not good practice to offer a c-section based purely on predicted weight, so I struggle to agree with the idea that they should have been granted an elective on that basis alone. It certainly sounds like the doctor here used massively excessive force with the forceps, but the vast majority of babies born via forceps are absolutely fine. Forceps can be life saving in the right situation (although they are horribly invasive too and certainly carry risks). Again, I disagree with the idea of an outright ban on their use. They have their place in medicine, just not as used by this doctor.

I understand birth has risks. I have a good friend who lost her baby when they used the suction method to get her daughter out almost two years ago. Baby was in distress, and doctors opted to not c section and use suction. Baby came out not breathing and ended up brain dead...

I understand birth has risks. I have a good friend who lost her baby when they used the suction method to get her daughter out almost two years ago. Baby was in distress, and doctors opted to not c section and use suction. Baby came out not breathing and ended up brain dead...

My previous pregnancy ended in stillbirth after my son died during labour. It was a supposedly 'safe' birth - I'd been monitored when contractions started, sent home until they established, and then he died. Births with no interventions can have tragic outcomes; interventions can have tragic outcomes. It's mainly, sadly, all about luck of the draw. And some of us aren't very lucky.

My previous pregnancy ended in stillbirth after my son died during labour. It was a supposedly 'safe' birth - I'd been monitored when contractions started, sent home until they established, and then he died. Births with no interventions can have tragic outcomes; interventions can have tragic outcomes. It's mainly, sadly, all about luck of the draw. And some of us aren't very lucky.

I'm sorry to hear about you loss. I do believe those like you and the parents in the arrival sharing your story's help others make more informed. If we can make informed decisions and not just let the doctors decide what happens with our bodies and baby's.

What you got there is a negligent doctor and very sad story.

Forceps however, used correctly can and do save babies, prevent c-sections and generally have good outcomes of they wouldn't be used. Some women who read this will end up needing forceps and chances are baby will come out fine.

DS was born using forceps. He was sunny side up, so face to pubes. I was knackered having been labouring all day after going into labour an hour after bedtime, and he was getting distressed during pushing, which wasn't that effective. Doctor said she'd do a gentle lift out with the forceps and that's pretty much what it was. Local anaesthetic in the perineum, episiotomy, forceps in, baby out.

Also its not unheard of for doctors to use a lot of pulling force and even put their foot on the table when doing a forceps delivery.

What you got there is a negligent doctor and very sad story.

Forceps however, used correctly can and do save babies, prevent c-sections and generally have good outcomes of they wouldn't be used. Some women who read this will end up needing forceps and chances are baby will come out fine.

DS was born using forceps. He was sunny side up, so face to pubes. I was knackered having been labouring all day after going into labour an hour after bedtime, and he was getting distressed during pushing, which wasn't that effective. Doctor said she'd do a gentle lift out with the forceps and that's pretty much what it was. Local anaesthetic in the perineum, episiotomy, forceps in, baby out.

Also its not unheard of for doctors to use a lot of pulling force and even put their foot on the table when doing a forceps delivery.

My son was born via suction, it came off and the fox had to re attach and start again. A few months later me and oh were watching one of those river cottage shows and they were trying to bring this lamb into the world safely but wS having a hard time. They started to physically pull this lamb out and u could see the force used. Which was a lot. Having gone through that recently I sympathised with the sheep.. To which my oh said that that was what it was like getting lo out. I was surprised.

my husband has scars on the sides of his head, thankfully covered by hair, due to a forceps birth. They're dangerous, so is suction... There are risks no matter what, you're perfectly correct there, but there's a degree of precaution that goes a LOOOOOONG way in preventing tragedies like these.

We read this article last night after a friend posted it on FB and my husband is now bent that we schedule a C-Section as he just wants our son out safe, sound and happy. This is after he's already had 3 daughters in a previous marriage that were all born vaginally.

I re posted this on facebook, and one of my cousins is having issues with one of her sons who was a forceps delivery. He just had surgery on his neck. They suspect the forceps causing the issue. It's suprizing how many horror stories you hear about just within people you know.

I don't think being bent on anything is good, but I certainly don't want a doctor who's old school and inflexible in situations and probably interviewing and chosing a delivery doctor, reviewing ratings & bedside manner is a good start at mitigating risk.
I do prefer a c-section to forcepts and vacuum, no one can sit there and tell me that a life with neck inury vs the small risk of cutting too deeply through a layer of skin by a trained surgeon is worth forcep delivery. One could argue there's a risk to everything in life but at the end of the day, which ones cause the most damage and which are more likely to happen.

When I first heard about this, there was an article that stated a source mentioned that he had been reported, or something about losing a license in two other states before moving to Texas. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain this family is feeling, losing their little girl like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->