Sad storylines on soaps/films ***will be sensitive***

Emma&Freya

Reaction score
Last night and this morning my facebook was going mad because of the Coronation Street storyline with Hayley having cancer.

Over half of them didnt agree with the storyline as it is too sad.

What I was thinking is what do you lot think?

My sister had cancer and dont get me wrong it is upsetting watching storylines with people suffering but they have got to do storylines which happens in 'real life'

What are you opinions :flower:

I think life can be depressing enough at times without watching it on TV, I always turn off anything that involves sad/depressing issues

I cried like a baby last night watching corro, I just couldn't hold back. Sad story lines don't bother me because although I know they do it for ratings mostly they still highlight important issues and always give numbers for advice lines or websites after it so they are helping people in a way. It just makes for a good story.

Xx

:hugs: sorry to hear your sister had cancer. Hope she's bette now xx

I don't watch corrie but I just think they reflect what some people go through in real life. Obviously it's more dramatised, and something goes wrong constantly but i don't take it to heart, they're not real people!! Saying that I have had a good son at soap funerals etc!

Two of my grandparents have sadly passed away from cancer so I find it really hard to watch story lines like that but still, soaps are just reflecting real life and unfortunately cancer is part of a lot of peoples lives. In some ways it may be good, it may raise awareness of these things. :shrug:

I don't watch much of the soaps just now but I think they are just showing real life issues and yes it will be hard for some people to watch but there is always the option not to watch as well.

I found the storyline really sad last night :( But it does highlight important issues though

It highlights important issues but if they cut every storyline that upset people they'd have none left i suppose.

x

Unfortunately cancer happens....A LOT it is only natural for them to bring it into storylines. It also raises awareness that people should get things checked out, yes it might be upsetting but it could also save a persons life by them getting things checked out.

The whole Rhona storyline from Emmerdale don't get me started. My OH takes tramadol (the painkiller she is addicted to) after spinal surgery and when he runs out of them and doesn't have any, the only side affect he has is a bit of trouble sleeping!! I always take the mick when the storyline comes on calling him an addict :rofl:

My sister is fine thanks Charlotte :flower:

When Tanya had cervical cancer we picked up on so many faults, it really disturbed my sister so she emailed them and she got a reply saying they hadnt looked into it properly!

I think it's important to cover issues such as this, and even have the chance to raise awareness of things - as long as they research it properly and make sure it's accurate etc.

I always find premature baby storylines quite hard to watch on the soaps because it sometimes brings back too many memories, but also DH and I get quite irritated because they clearly haven't researched it quite well enough and there are so many things that just wouldn't happen in a neonatal unit. There's always the option to change channel over to something else though. xx

I don't watch soaps, but I used to when I lived with my mum. I honestly hated seeing these things on soaps. I think there should be awareness documentaries, but fitting such important and sad issues into soaps seems... Too upsetting.

I don't watch soaps for this reason (all doom and bloody gloom), but if you're going to watch it then I guess you have to accept these sorts of storylines. It might be a massively dramatised version of events (can one street actually be so unlucky?), but this shit does happen, all the time, and it's more than just sad.
Cancer is tragic, it destroys lives, it rips families apart, it leaves voids. If merely seeing it on TV has you running to complain that it's 'sad', maybes take a step away from the set and into real life for a bit :shrug:

Rant over :blush: bottom line I just hate soaps :lol:

My dad sadly passed away from cancer in january this year, it started from a mole and just spread everywhere, the mole only changed shape august the year before, he went straight to the doctor but it spread so quickly it was to late. This hayley storyline is so sad as its close to home but I think its acted well and its spreading awareness so im still watching it xx

Hayley wanted to leave and a story like this is the only way they could write her out I guess. (She would never leave Roy)
I think they are playing the parts really well so far. It is really sad though.

I think it's important to cover issues such as this, and even have the chance to raise awareness of things - as long as they research it properly and make sure it's accurate etc.

I always find premature baby storylines quite hard to watch on the soaps because it sometimes brings back too many memories, but also DH and I get quite irritated because they clearly haven't researched it quite well enough and there are so many things that just wouldn't happen in a neonatal unit. There's always the option to change channel over to something else though. xx

I agree about the prem baby lines. What drives me mad is how people (not that close to the baby) just seem to walk in and out of the units :shrug: xx

It is sad but then life can sometimes be very sad. I find the news incredibly depressing but this is life. I think if they're going to make soaps which are supposed to be reflective real people living their (albeit highly dramatized) lives they have to try and reflect all aspects of life, the good, the bad and the ugly. If people don't want to watch things because they're sad they always have the option of turning it off, in real life people who experience things like cancer don't have the privilege of opting out because it's upsetting. I think it's a great tool for awareness, millions of people watch and for at least the small amount of time they're watching can try and relate and empathise with the people in those situations.

Well if we took everything to sensitive then there will be no tv

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->