Safe Teas for Pregnancy?

Mild Mango

Reaction score
So, prior to my BFP, I was an avid tea drinker. I mostly drank Green Tea during the day, and then some sort of tasty herbal tea at night.

I read some articles saying that certain ingredients in some herbal teas can cause miscarriage, that green tea can block folic acid absorption, and of course there's always concerns over caffeine. It's enough to make your head spin.

I don't want to give up tea completely, but all the warnings are pretty scary. Do any of you still drink tea or did you give it up completely? If you still drink tea, which kinds or brands do you drink (both caffeinated and decaf)? :coffee:

I didn't know you had to be careful of regular teas you buy at the grocery store! Although I did know you had to be careful of greed tea due to folic acid. I drank a lot of rooibos tea in my last pregnancy, and I have been drinking it now along with chamomille. I believe nettle tea is safe during pregnancy. I would think that most teas that are not sold as herbs for something would be safe?

peppermint leaf tea and lemon balm tea are both considered safe for pregnancy.
I use to be a big tea addict before becoming pregnant too. I would drink half a pot of green tea a day, I tried having a cup a few days ago because I had a sore throat, I couldn't finish the cup it made me so nauseous.

I'd say mint and peppermint teas are fine to drink.

I was wondering this too. The only tea I can enjoy is Starbuck's Passion Tea. But then I read that even though it is caffeine-free, the hibiscus can harm the baby. I am not sure if this is true, so I am trying to hold off until I can ask my doctor at my appt on 5/12. I LOVE that stuff, so it's kinda hard not to make the trip to get my tea :(

My doc recommended rooibos as a perfect pregnancy tea so I have been lapping it up :)

She is a german doc and I am american. She told me that americans are way too scared to drink tea and she never tells her patients they need to avoid it. But because I asked, she said she could tell that I would be one of the extra cautious americans...hence, the rooibos :)

Ginger Tea is for morning sickness

Thanks, ladies! I just picked up some peppermint tea, rooibos tea, and some fresh ginger (to make ginger tea).

I also just came down with a cold, :growlmad: so it felt extra good to finally have a warm cup of tea again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->