Safe to lose weight during pregnancy?

Lucyjo81

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I’m very conscious that I’m fairly big (uk size 18-20) and being pregnant I know I’m going to put on more weight as I have done in both my pregnancies before.

Is it safe to lose weight whilst pregnant? I don’t mean strict diets and hitting the gym, I just mean cutting out the unhealthy snacks and upping exercise etc.

I’d love to avoid putting weight on, if possible.

Of course, ask your doctor. I'm sure they could give you some great tips! Exercise (from what I have read and heard) is great during pregnancy. I was very active with my first pregnancy (walking 3+ miles a day or even hiking some hilly trails and kayaking). I wouldn't, as you said, attempt to restrict all food or do anything too strenuous.

I'd just attempt to live a healthy life, be active and eat right.

I think it's something there are quite different oppinions about. There has been research that suggests that loosing weight during pregnancy reduces complications but official advice tends to err on the side of caution saying they don't know if it's safe. Personally I recon it comes down to how you loose weight. Obviously crazy diets or starving yourself probably is a bad idea but surely If you can loose a bit of weight by improving your general diet, cutting out junk food and increasing healthy food then it can't be a bad thing. That can be easier said than done when pregnant as your appetite is all over the place.

If your classed as overweight in the uk midwifes actually welcome you following SlimmingWorld during pregnancy but you get to have extra dairy and fibre,on Facebook there is a SlimmingWorld group I am a member of and there are quite a few pregnant ladies there,however I’m not currently following it but that’s due to me constantly craving cake lol

Thanks ladies, ive read conflicting articles too.

I’ve got my first midwife appt on the 25th so I’m definitely going to bring it up and see what she advises xx

I've seen slimming world members lose weight/maintain weight, their meals don't even look small or anything. Looks like it's filling, looks really yummy actually, and full of nutrients. Definitely worth looking into. You can join online too if you don't fancy going for the weigh in.

You have to think as long as it's nutrient filled, it shouldn't do any harm, baby will absorb tonnes of those nutrients! It doesn't seem like a restrictive way of losing weight at all, and there are so many pregnant slimming world members out there I'm sure there'll be some online groups for additional support.

I've tried a few recipes on their website and I just thought 'how is this possibly SUPER healthy?' it was so easy and so good! Definitely worth looking into for a way to stay healthy during pregnancy, and if you keep it up after baby's born then the weight will likely drop off!

I've been doing Slimming World since New Year and I'll be continuing it during pregnancy. There's no restricting or anything like that, meals are filling and it encourages you to pick healthy options anyway.

I wouldn't do much in the way of exercise though other than things like walking, swimming, maybe Yoga etc

I've seen slimming world members lose weight/maintain weight, their meals don't even look small or anything. Looks like it's filling, looks really yummy actually, and full of nutrients. Definitely worth looking into. You can join online too if you don't fancy going for the weigh in.

You have to think as long as it's nutrient filled, it shouldn't do any harm, baby will absorb tonnes of those nutrients! It doesn't seem like a restrictive way of losing weight at all, and there are so many pregnant slimming world members out there I'm sure there'll be some online groups for additional support.

I've tried a few recipes on their website and I just thought 'how is this possibly SUPER healthy?' it was so easy and so good! Definitely worth looking into for a way to stay healthy during pregnancy, and if you keep it up after baby's born then the weight will likely drop off!

This! I used to do SW and found it amazing, and also it's perfectly safe for the whole family to do, is pregnancy friendly and breastfeeding friendly. Definitely worth joining if you want to safely lose a little or maintain whilst pregnant.

I lost weight when pregnant with DS2 and DD, but this was due to going off so many foods I couldn't eat properly for ages. There's only just under eleven months between them both, I started out about 14.5st with DS2 but by the time I had DD I was 10.5st. Whilst I wouldn't encourage pregnant ladies to go on a mission to lose stones, I can say that both our babies were completely healthy and hadn't suffered from my lack of appetite/many food aversions.

I would say if you don't want to join anywhere, then you could do it online, or if you want to go it alone, then just cut out the not so healthy stuff but do it slowly, and definitely don't cut it all out otherwise you will feel deprived and this will only encourage you to rebel against yourself, so treat yourself when you feel like it because a little of what you love won't hurt you

When I got pregnant I was a UK size 16 (had previously lost nearly 2 stone with SW), my BMI was 34 so they told me to continue with SW.

I had such bad sickness in the first 16 weeks I just didn't bother going to class because I was only eating as and when I felt like it, so wasn't sticking to the plan.

Come 20 weeks my appetite came back with a vengeance and I wanted to eat everything in sight. Im now nearly 35 weeks and have gained 2 stone since booking app. More than I wanted too, but I am carrying a huge baby (97th centile) and soon as I have had her, im straight back to SW and getting to my goal before im 40 next year xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->