Saudi Curriculum....

redpoppy

Reaction score
I've not seen this programme but have recorded it. Will be interesting topic for debate in my opinion! :flower:

thoughts please!

i watched half of this last night going to watch the other tonight but will be a good topic x

My Mum was born in Zambia and grew up in Saudi, she said her education was fantastic x

the programe wasnt about education in saudi it was about muslim schools in england and the children being taught terrorism ect

I still haven't watched it and don't know if I can as OH isn't back yet, plus we have the wire to watch and catch up with the apprentice. :rofl:

But basically, it seems, that weekend religious schools (if I'm not mistaken) are teaching Islamic law as practised by Saudi Arabia as the correct and moral religious law. This includes killing homosexuals, how all non believers will burn in hell and how to properly cut off the hands and then feet of thieves.

Saudi Arabia is quite famous for basically financing religious schools across the globe and teaching THEIR form of Islam in them. The Saudi's are rich and quite hypocritical for the most part. Also, due to all the oil they have, most countries don't dare condemn them or any of their laws which are against basic human rights.

i watched half of this last night going to watch the other tonight but will be a good topic x

Oh i am so sorry :D

I was breastfeeding and only glanced over it quickly as was doing it with one hand so i didn't read the link correctly.. it's quite hard doing both :)

I still haven't watched it and don't know if I can as OH isn't back yet, plus we have the wire to watch and catch up with the apprentice. :rofl:

But basically, it seems, that weekend religious schools (if I'm not mistaken) are teaching Islamic law as practised by Saudi Arabia as the correct and moral religious law. This includes killing homosexuals, how all non believers will burn in hell and how to properly cut off the hands and then feet of thieves.

Saudi Arabia is quite famous for basically financing religious schools across the globe and teaching THEIR form of Islam in them. The Saudi's are rich and quite hypocritical for the most part. Also, due to all the oil they have, most countries don't dare condemn them or any of their laws which are against basic human rights.

I'll have to see if i can get it on catch up.

Are the pupils aware of the background of the information they are being taught? I believe everyone has a right to learn about any culture in whichever country they choose. HOWEVER it should be done with respect for that country's customs and laws. If it is being taught as what is 'right' then i can'e agree with it at all. Especially if the pupils are of an age where they are easily influenced.

Is there any body (like the one that rates schools - the name has escaped me :dohh:) that 'inspects' religious schools?

I'll have to see if i can get it on catch up.

Are the pupils aware of the background of the information they are being taught? I believe everyone has a right to learn about any culture in whichever country they choose. HOWEVER it should be done with respect for that country's customs and laws. If it is being taught as what is 'right' then i can'e agree with it at all. Especially if the pupils are of an age where they are easily influenced.

Is there any body (like the one that rates schools - the name has escaped me :dohh:) that 'inspects' religious schools?

I don't know if they're considered schools. I should see the doc really. i assume it's like Sunday school. But I doubt the kids are given any context. It's a very troubling issue in my opinion.

I'm watching it now. Will let you know what i think in half an hour!

I saw about this in the news... apparently ofsted will be getting involved. I don't agree with it tbh... teach & beleive what you will in Saudi Arabia, it shouldn't be going on in this country if it's informing the pupils that it is right! Definitely interesting topic for debate :thumbup:

Urgh. I wrote a massive post on this last night and it disappeared :(

Urgh. I wrote a massive post on this last night and it disappeared :(

:( I want to know what it said. Bulletpoints perhaps? :coffee:

I only managed to watch this today. I found it upsetting. I think there's an element of parents not really knowing what they're sending their kids to learn in religious school but just content that they're receiving a religious education.

One of the guys on there is a really good guy. he's been ousted by a lot of the hardliners. He was the one talking about how people (Muslims) fail to take things in context. It's a shame he didn't get more airplay.

It would be interesting to know what the majority of parents thought about this. I could imagine 25 years ago or so if I grew up in an area with a lot of Muslims my mum would have probably sent me to a school like this without thinking.

Anyway, it needs to stop. And the fact that religious schools have opened their own ofsted equivalent governing body is more than a little disconcerting. :nope:

Ok, in brief...

I don't believe faith schools should exist (any faith) especially those with a fee. It is clear that money sometimes (but not always) ends up funding more hardcore aspects of religion.

The most worrying part for me is that a mosque can fund a school and an 'information service'. Ofsted rate the school as good and there are no outward signs of teaching extreme views, whilst pupils are learning them in the place next door.

The parents of these children must know what they are being taught because the Saudi emblem is on the text books. Unless they leave them at the school?

The school in birmingham (i may have remembered that incorrectly) seems like they have the right idea - teaching integration rather than segregation whilst being able to incorporate and cater to the faith.

There was more but i'd have to watch it again!

I generaly make a point of not getting involved or having too much of an oppinion in how other coulters, religions, countries educate their children or the beliefs thay have as its their beliefs and not realy for me to judge but I have to say I was quite shocked by this one.

I havnt seen the programme but it was on the news the other night

My OH just watched this in the morning and he thinks it was pretty pathetic that they were obviously looking for something far more extreme and all they found were a weekend school which had some saudi textbooks. I never thought of it like that. It still bothers me but I suppose it makes it seem a bigger problem than it maybe is. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->