Sazza's Birth Story of Baby Lewis

sazza

Reaction score
Well, where to start?!!!

I was having mild contractions pretty much all day on Tuesday 9th November. I started to wonder if it may just have been the babies head starting to engage - as I had been advised the Friday previously that although the baby was head down, he wasn't engaged at all. I kept myself very busy on Tuesday, and was nesting - I even managed to make dinner! I hadn't let my OH know what was happening until he was on his way home on the bus! He text me asking what was for Dinner. I replied 'pasta and meatballs with a side of mild contractions'. :rofl:

My contractions started to step up a notch after Dinner, and I think that's when OH realised I was actually in the early stages of Labour, and wasn't just having 'cramps'. At around 7.30pm, my waters broke - whilst I was bouncing on my birth ball! :haha: We phoned through to Labour Ward shortly afterwards, to see if they wanted me in to check me. They didn't! I think it was then that my OH put the Tens Machine on me.

I found the Tens machine really effective, and managed to carry on until around midnight. My OH had been on the phone to Labour Ward a couple more times in between, as my contractions had stepped up a bit. They were coming between 3 and 5 minutes, and lasting almost a minute. The MW on Labour Ward wasn't keen for me to come in, and told me she would probably just send me home anyway!

I told them I would be in shortly! I started to panic a wee bit when I noticed the pace of my breathing had changed, and I felt like I wanted to push! I think we arrived at the Hospital around 12.30. The MW confirmed I was around 5cms, and had me go straight to the Labour Ward. I had my Tens Machine on throughout, and used my Boost Button quite a bit! I progressed from 5cms to 10cms fairly quickly, and I think the MW thought it was gonna be a very quick Labour.

I was given gas and air, and used that instead of the Tens (although I still had it on). After a couple of hours, I was told I would no longer have gas and air, to encourage 'active labour' or something like that! In all honesty, I wasn't abusing it - and certainly didn't feel 'out of it!'. I soldiered on with nothing more than my Tens Machine. Unfortunately, I didn't seem to be making progress, and after being in active labour for around 6 hours or so, they gave me two options.

I could either have two injections down below, with forceps (in the room I was in) or I could go to theatre and have a spinal with forceps. I decided to go to Theatre. It must have been over an hour from making the decision, to actually going into Theatre. Being taken to Theatre was so surreal. The bright lights! The amount of people in the room! I think numbers were doubled as it was all happening during a shift change. My OH was allowed in with me once I had been prepped and the Spinal had taken effect.

After 4 or 5 pushes, at 7.53, Lewis was born (screaming his little lungs out!) He weighed 6lbs 15oz. :cloud9: He was given to Daddy, as there is no way I felt up to holding him after what I had been through! The Placenta was delivered, and I had my stitches done. They had to perform an episiotomy due to having a forceps delivery. I felt like they were stitching me down there for ages, and asked one of the MW's what was going on. She assured me that the cut was small, and was classed as 2nd Degree. This made me feel a little more at ease.

I then went to recovery for a couple of hours, and felt surprisingly well. I was then taken to the Ward (which wasn't a great experience - but that's another story, for another day!) That night, I asked to be discharged the following day. Thanks to a fantastic Midwife Assistant, I got to go home on Thursday at around 4pm.

Lovely story hun, and well done you did great :hugs:

COngratulations again! xx

what a great job you did! Well done and congrats on the birth of little Lewis. I hope you're settling in well at home with your new addition.

Well done you! So happy for you! x x x

Fab story Hun, Well done and congrats again xxx

:hugs: you did really well managing most of it on only tens and gas

Lovely to read your birth story after reading your pregnancy journal for so long :)

It sounds as if you did so well to manage all that time with just the TENs and the Gas and Air :thumbup: I can only imagine what a surreal experience it is going into theatre and then coming out with a baby - at least it was all nice and quick once you got there and not drawn out at all.

Lewis is absolutely gorgeous :hugs:

Fab story, well done you! Congratulations and enjoy Lewis x

Well done Saz - I knew you'd do great, you had such a good attitude.

Boo to the stay on the ward...seems a lot of us had similar experiences there, but so pleased for you that you got on so well and you sound so happy!!
Lots of love
xxx

Excellent stuff Sazza, many congratulations! :happydance: :yipee:

Just seen your sig in Hayleys journal! Congratulations on your little boy! and well done for lasting so long on G&A alone!
Hope you're enjoying these first few weeks of being a mummy! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->