Scan after miscarriage

c beary83

Reaction score
Hello,

Did anyone get routinely offered a scan after their miscarriage?

I've been told to go back in three weeks for a pregnancy test and if it's negative I wouldn't need a scan.

Please can you share your experiences - I'm worried about possible infection without a scan.

TIA

Sorry for your loss<3
I just had a scan this past Friday which was 18 days after the start of my miscarriage.
My OB wanted to do the scan because I was still spotting.. I think they like to do follow up scans for bleeding past two weeks or signs of infection.

You could request one though I think ?
How many weeks were you?

My doc said to take pregnancy tests and if they are not negative after two weeks to call.

I agree about the worry about infection, and also wonder if this was normal not to offer a follow up. This was my first D&C and worried about the unknown, but feel alright now. How are you feeling? I would definitely call earlier if you have a lot of pain, excessive bleeding, or sorry tmi...foul odor.

Sorry for your loss<3
I just had a scan this past Friday which was 18 days after the start of my miscarriage.
My OB wanted to do the scan because I was still spotting.. I think they like to do follow up scans for bleeding past two weeks or signs of infection.

You could request one though I think ?
How many weeks were you?

My doc said to take pregnancy tests and if they are not negative after two weeks to call.

I agree about the worry about infection, and also wonder if this was normal not to offer a follow up. This was my first D&C and worried about the unknown, but feel alright now. How are you feeling? I would definitely call earlier if you have a lot of pain, excessive bleeding, or sorry tmi...foul odor.
Hi mummof1 and mdc - I am sorry for your losses

I found out at my twelve week scan that the baby died 9weeks and 5days. I passed baby yesterday ( i would have been about 13 and a half weeks) in my miscarriage along with lots of clots and bleeding. I feel like there can't be anything else left but never know. I'm only spotting now so will keep an eye out for signs of infection.

I wasn't offered a follow up scan after my first d&c, but the spotting went on for two months so I was just going to ask for one when I passed a clot and the spotting stopped. Really I should have gone earlier as the spotting should only last two weeks but obviously I still had something to come away. I have been given a follow up scan this time, but only because they saw the d&c wasn't completely clear.

So I just had my follow up about my ultrasound . It showed 7mm of tissue leftover but I think I passed it a few days go I had spotting and then a pinky clot.

My pregnancy stopped developing at 8 weeks and I bled heavily with the miscarriage and passed a few large clots but I didn't pass any noticeable sac/fetus.

I was worried with the continued spotting that there was still a lot left in there but there wasn't !
I bet you passed everything , my OB said if there's a little tissue left it won't cause any problems. Hopefully the spotting will stop for you soon and you can move on<3

I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't get a second scan but my hormone numbers dropped quickly. :hugs:

I wasn't offered a scan, and my doc didn't even do an exam at my 2 week follow up. Basically, he wanted to know if I was mentally stable and talk about our plan going forward and what to expect as far as cycles, etc. They did ask how I was physically so I'm sure if something was awry they would've checked it out. If you had an infection, my guess is you would know it. They just told me to look out for foul smelling stuff or heavier than normal bleeding. Every doc is different.

My hcg still isn't back to normal, but he wasn't concerned at all about it. He said to come back when I'm 6.5 weeks pregnant again. My doc is of the mindset that extra diagnostic testing will just cause added stress, unless it's totally needed. I appreciate that mindset so much.

I was only offered a scan b/c the pathology report showed that the pregnancy was not extracted. I declined and miscarried on my own 4 weeks later.

This was my second d&c and my third loss.

Even with all of the complications I have had with my last two losses infections was not a concern and I had had sex and used tampons after the initial 2 week wait b/c we did not yet know there was retained tissue.

The risk of infection is less than 1%. You only need to worry about it if you have symptoms - fever, pain, smelly discharge etc.

I was never even prescribed an antibiotic b/c the risk is so low.

I am still waiting to naturally miscarry but my doctor discussed having me come in for a scan once I miscarry. Either way, I go back in 2 weeks for a follow up. I would be 10w 4d today but baby stopped growing somewhere in week 6.

If you have any concerns at all, ask for a scan. I'm sure they will work with you if you voice your concerns. Best wishes!

I was told the same thing if test is - then no need for scan. My midwife told me to request a scan anyway and they werehappy to comply. I'm having one next Tuesday as my bleeding has already stopped.

I had a scan a few days after my mc. Was horrid as had to sit with all the pregnant ladies whilst thinking my body had betrayed me and would never be able to have any children &#128532;

I've got my scan tomorrow. I have booked the earliest appt so that I can try and avoid pregnant women. My scan is booked for a week after I passed the baby. I only bled for 19 hours so I'm worried it will be an incomplete miscarriage.

Hope it goes well Lou Oscar.

When you say you only bled for nineteen hours- is that in total?

I would say I bled for six hours with my miscarriage (heavy bleeding, passing clots etc) and then two weeks light bleeding after that. I think it just stopped today although I thought that a few days ago then it started up again.

Have you done a pregnancy test? They say if that is negative then it's complete. Mine just went negative today after two weeks xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->