Scandinavian Mamas, a name question.

Anjali

Reaction score
I'd love to get some opinions on a name for my second child, are there any Scandinavian mamas out there who can help? I tried a different forum and got bombed with negativity. I haven't been on here since I've had #1 but now that we are discussing having #2 I really want to check on a name I love very much.

Thanks!

Mainland European here, sorry. But why don't you tell us the name anyway? What aspect are you worried about? Meaning, sound, association?

I'm not Scandinavian myself but I have been living in northern Finland almost 6 years. What is the name you are considering?

Thanks so much for offering to help!

We named our DD Liv, middle name Espen (chosen by her father). We got a lot of negative comments from the Scandinavian community on another forum, saying we are wannabes trying to be trendy. We actually are both European and really loved the name Liv, and though Espen is a traditionally male name, we love it for our girl. We plan on moving back to Europe one day, maybe Sweden. We were told she'd be made fun of, that we should change her name, etc.

Is it that big of a deal?

I wanted to name my second DD (if things go down that route) Solvi, another name we adore. I'm struggling with a middle name. I love Elin but was told it doesn't sound great together. Does it really not go well together? It's my first choice but obviously you want something that flows.

I also realize they don't do first and middle names there the way they do in the US, that they do one or two first names, which is another reason I'm wondering if Solvi Elin is a good choice or not based on how it sounds together.

We were also told both Liv and Solvi are outdated, old, though not as common anymore. Idk, honestly, they are my favorite names that I would have liked to (and still would like to) name my kids but I get enough from my family members who don't understand why I didn't choose a traditional name of our own culture. But I realize we need to choose names my husband and I love regardless of what everyone else thinks. Everyone who now knows my DD says she definitely looks like a Liv, so I'm hoping Solvi will go over as well but in fretting a little about possible mispronunciations and such.

Again, thanks so much for the assistance!

Uh, tough one. Personally, I think Liv and Solvi are both gorgeous names and if I met a Liv or a Solvi, that's all that would come to mind. But then I know how different cultures have different associations with names. I'm actually on the other side of this "problem". A friend of mine is set on naming her new baby something from her husband's (and my) culture and to me, it sounds ugly and ridiculous. They've decided so I'd never actually say that to her though and I expect once I've met baby, I will find the name really cool. That's the thing with associations, they get overwritten when you're close to someone actually carrying the name. So bottom line, I think I'd just go for it. Who cares what everyone else thinks. As long as the name doesn't mean "fartbucket" in Swedish, why should someone else's perception of it put you off?

Uh, tough one. Personally, I think Liv and Solvi are both gorgeous names and if I met a Liv or a Solvi, that's all that would come to mind. But then I know how different cultures have different associations with names. I'm actually on the other side of this "problem". A friend of mine is set on naming her new baby something from her husband's (and my) culture and to me, it sounds ugly and ridiculous. They've decided so I'd never actually say that to her though and I expect once I've met baby, I will find the name really cool. That's the thing with associations, they get overwritten when you're close to someone actually carrying the name. So bottom line, I think I'd just go for it. Who cares what everyone else thinks. As long as the name doesn't mean "fartbucket" in Swedish, why should someone else's perception of it put you off?

Thanks, that's encouraging. I guess I didn't want my DD to have issues in school because of a name we like, or to always get looks about it. Obviously one wants their child to be treated well, so inwas concerned with maybe burdening her if it's something people can't get past. But you're right, we will most likely go with the name we love. I'm still curious about the combination, however, and how it sounds.

I think it doesn't "flow" too well, in the sense that you have to have a little pause between the names when you say them together. But I don't think it clashes or anything so personally, I'd still go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->