Scared of releasing my name choices

thosevibes

Reaction score
I know I could just wait until the baby is born that way no one can try and talk me out of them but I can't keep something in like that!

I just don't think I could wait!

Both my boy and girl names are different.... It's the nasty comments I wanna avoid. Or the "You sure?" comments.

Girl: Meadow Rayne
Boy: Levi or River Grayson

Advice on what to do?

Rule of thumb-dont announce unless you are unscathed by mean/rude comments

Yeah, I agree with BassDesire.

It makes me sad to read threads from people who've started second-guessing themselves because some jerk thinks they're entitled to give a mean or negative opinion on a name someone else loves.

But if you're not the kind of person who can cheerfully reply to naysayers, "Oh, you don't like it? Guess that's JUST TOO BAD", then you should try to keep it quiet until it's on the birth certificate.

I told everyone the name we chose for our first LO about three seconds after we settled on it but a) I am completely unfazed by negative feedback (although we didn't actually get any) and b) I wouldn't care if someone was like, "Wow, that's the best name, I'm going to use that too" either.

We waited with DD to tell anyone her name until she was born and I'm really glad we did. We're kerping this one secret too. Plus since everyone knew she was a girl this was the "surprise". I just didn't want to hear any comments about it!

We announced our name when we found out LO was a boy around 16 weeks. We had pretty positive feedback but there were a few that made faces and one friend that was quite opinionated lol. It annoyed me a bit because she was quite pushy with her opinion, it didn't annoy me enough to change the name though.

If you love the name then use it anyway, it's not their baby, it's yours and your OH's. If they want to choose names then they can do with their own kids/dogs/cats/etc..

Btw, I love your name choices.

Ugh, I am in the same boat. "Do you have a name?" Is the biggest question we get besides, "boy or girl?" I just tell people that we are still figuring things out even though there is a name that we are pretty sure on (but, it could change when we see the baby). However, the same people ask every week, and it gets frustrating! I understand because I like to hear other people's name choices, but I don't like hearing everyone's opinions on mine. I mentioned the name we liked to my husband's family, and now they are calling the baby by that name, and keep mentioning the name. I told them it was just an idea, and now I wish we just kept it to ourselves. I know people don't like hearing "We are waiting until the baby is born to say the name" but honestly, its your baby, and your choice!!

Yeah, at least on here, people are strangers so some feedback doesn't hurt as much. Now when your best friend, sister, mom, or grandpa says your name is ugly and horrible and awful...yeah, we'll that hurts.

It's funny...on here I have the thickest skin ever. I'm like fire away tell me what you hate. With people I know, yeah not so much!

Just wait, it'll be a lot better in the long run. I'm the worst at keeping things to myself but I managed to keep our chosen name secret!
Before LO was born we'd mentioned some names we liked and MIL and SIL both said they didn't like the name Teagan, or some of the other names we were thinking about, but that's the name me and OH had decided on since before she was even conceived so that's what we chose! I didn't really care that they didn't like it. And obviously when she was born they've never said anything!

Thanks everyone..

Grandma on some of the names I'm thinking about: I don’t like them. Pick a common name that won’t get picked on even if you don’t like it. No, not those. I don’t like them.

Grandma, I love ya but….

It’s a good thing you’re old

My little guy's name is Levi and I think it's a fantastic choice (and have met very few of them). I tend to like semi-unusual names and actually first wanted to name him Soren but hubby hated that (he likes classic names and refused Levi until I had such a rough birth he said I could name him whatever I wanted, except Soren).

I thought it was fun keeping it a secret

it just added a whole new level when he was born, no one knew the sex either - so it was a day full of suspense and excitement like being a kid a Christmas

I have no intention of announcing the name we have chosen.

On here fine. I have written our names in the ongoing thread where we judge the previous posters name, rate it, and then write our own. While the first name is our chosen, the middle is my actual name and I have gotten some nasty feedback on it. It didn't feel great on here, but then again I asked strangers hiding behind screens for opinions so its not a bother to me.

I took a list of names my OH and I scratched and said them to some family when they asked. It was my version of a test run. They were honest and they said what they didnt like.

From that test run and from the stories of ladies on here I won't be telling anyone. It will be a nice secret between OH and I.

You women are amazing being able to keep to a name secret. Truly. My dad kept the gender a secret and idk how he did that. Mom didn't want to know but he did.... Kept it to himself.

I can't keep secrets like that to save my life haha!

My grandma only upset me when she picked on the name Kezia. She kept yelling "SIGH SIGH SIGH" There's no sigh sound in there.... There's a Zigh sound. It made me feel like she was picking on an unborn baby... I don't know; it didn't sit well.

I've gotten some bad comments from others but, honestly, I was only upset that once time with the grandmother. So far so good.

We are going through the same thing, we recently picked the name Declan Asher for our son due end of November. Mostly good responses, our friends all love it (or they are all good at pretending lol) but then my mother of all people replied with silence and then said "where did you come up with that??" Oh well for her if she doesn't like it! I say stick to your guns and name your baby whatever you want! We sure are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->