Scheduled C-Section! (superstitious?)

mzimm1

Reaction score
So today I went to the doctor's for my glucose test and we talked about scheduling my c-section. My due date is Nov 18, so my doctor wanted to schedule the c-section either Nov 12 or 13 (depending on the hospital schedule). I asked about the pros and cons of waiting until my due date (she is on hospital rounds Thursday and Friday, so it'd be the 19 or 20), and she said it was totally up to me if I wanted to wait. Because I never had any signs of progressing with my first (she was breech, and the c-section was scheduled at exactly 40 weeks-- I never dilated, dropped, or anything!), she just wasn't sure about doing a VBAC or not. We talked about the pros and cons, and I felt pretty comfortable with scheduling it the 12 or 13 (39+1 or 39+2). If I go into labor before hand (we all know that babies have their own schedule sometimes!), we are going to try for a VBAC assuming everything is going well.

With that said, if the hospital is booked for the 12... and I have to do it Friday the 13th.... I'm being a little crazy about it! It almost makes me want to wait until the next week just to avoid the stigma of having a major surgery on Friday the 13th :nope:! Am I being crazy? What is everyone's opinion about a surgery/birth day on Friday the 13th? My grandmother and a good friend showed their superstitious side on me (saying I should avoid that date if possible!!), but part of me thinks I'm being ridiculous.

Opinions, please!!

Friday 13th is lucky for some!

But in all honestly, superstitions don't mean much to me! I wouldn't let it put me off booking in for thathe date xx

I wouldn't worry about it. It's the same with Halloween. If it happens, it happens.

If I had the choice I'd wait till I was 40 weeks to schedule the c section. I'm hoping I get to with this one! And I think avoiding Friday 13th is just a bonus!

I was born on Friday the 13th. Its actually always been a SUPER lucky day for my mom and I, and I absolutely loved to say growing up that I was a Friday the 13th baby

My grandma and great grandma were both born on Friday 13th and I always thought that was very cool. My mum was born on Thursday 12th and felt really cheated that she wasn't born a day later to carry the tradition on :haha:. So for me having a baby on Friday 13th wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I'm not a very superstitious person though and in my family Friday 13th is seen as a good day (with lots of birthdays I guess it makes sense that it would be seen in a positive light).

I'm not superstitious so wouldn't bother me , it might be a bonus if other moms don't want to schedule for the 13th might be a little quieter at the hospital !!

I think that's cool!! My son has two 13's in his birthday (13 July 2013) so for me I consider it a lucky number!

It's funny, I am actually quite a superstitious person but I'd be more inclined to say to myself, I'm not changing the original date because if I do something will go wrong and I'll wish I kept it at the original day lol

I'm not superstitious at all, but if you are, I would wait just because the added stress and worries would be no good for you or baby!

It wouldn't bother me at all. But then I'm not superstitious so don't pay much heed to that sort of thing. Do what you feel comfortable with x

If I had the choice I'd wait till I was 40 weeks to schedule the c section. I'm hoping I get to with this one! And I think avoiding Friday 13th is just a bonus!

My doctor was strongly suggesting 39 weeks (I also had pre-e with my first). She just didn't want me to feel pressure from her, as she is typically very vbac supportive. My husband agrees with her that 39 cuts out a lot of risks (it's definitely not as convenient on our schedules as 40, though....) and after talking I feel he and the doctor are right. :sigh: HOWEVER if I'm totally healthy and showing no signs of labor close to my section, I might try and get it moved!

I didn't think I was that superstitious until I heard the reactions of friends and family. I appreciate all the responses here!

My doctor was strongly suggesting 39 weeks (I also had pre-e with my first). She just didn't want me to feel pressure from her, as she is typically very vbac supportive. My husband agrees with her that 39 cuts out a lot of risks (it's definitely not as convenient on our schedules as 40, though....) and after talking I feel he and the doctor are right. :sigh: HOWEVER if I'm totally healthy and showing no signs of labor close to my section, I might try and get it moved!

I didn't think I was that superstitious until I heard the reactions of friends and family. I appreciate all the responses here!

Totally understand, I developed pre e really late in my last pregnancy and ended up with a surprise induction after a regular check up with my OB. I hear it's less likely to happen with subsequent pregnancies, so hopefully you can avoid it this time :) good idea, if you're feeling good at 38 weeks then see if you can have it moved to 40 weeks. I'd love to schedule mine for 40 weeks as 39 weeks is Dec 28 - not an ideal time for a birthday! Lol

I am superstitious in some ways. I think if you schedule it for 40 weeks and that baby is meant to come on Friday the 13th it will make its entrance on that day. It could end up going either way no matter what day you schedule it for. I would go with your instinct and schedule it on the day you feel most comfortable with.

Update: scheduled for 39+1 on Thursday, November 12th! I have to be at the hospital at 6am!

November 12 sounds like a great birthday! Exciting!! :)

Wouldn't bother me enough to cancel, it's just a date. I'm having a section again this time, last was breech but don't get my date till 33 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->