school lunches?

alibaba24

Reaction score
How many of you use the kids school lunches?

I have an incredibly fussy eater and I know she would rather starve than eat mince/cabbage etc

I think I will just do packed lunch so I know she isn't going to be starving

My DD is very fussy too. Up until now we've done the school lunches. Especially during the winter i like her to at least try to eat something warm in the day and she will generally eat more when she's sat with other children also eating, than she will if she were at home.

But now it's getting on for Summer i don't mind so much and because i know she doesn't like many of the meals they provide we're doing half and half. We got the menu from the school for the last half term before the summer break. I went through it with DD and we decided which days she would have a packed lunch and which days she would have a cooked meal.

I do packed lunches, Alex would straight out no way eat school lunches

yeah I know that peer pressure just isn't going to work because she just wont try anything she doesn't like the look of. would love her to have something hot but its doubtful she will

I have a stupidly fussy eater and have been amazed at the fact that she actually eats at school. If I sent in a packed lunch it's doubtful she'd eat it anyway so I decided to give her the school dinners.
The only thing she never eats is any form of potatoes. Everything else she does at least have a go at.

Have you seen an example of the school dinners yours is going to provide?
Ours has never served up cabbage! They have things like rice or pasta with a sauce, lasagne, meat and veg. They always provide bread so on days that DD really doesn't like anything she still eats the bread.

she will eat bread so I should out. an example of the menu is savoury mince with cabbage and mashed potato. homemade soup - pizza mixed salad & coleslaw.

the desserts are jelly and fruit or a oat cookie

out of those she would eat the cookie literally. at home anyway

We tried both, after 2 years at school he still doesn't eat or drink anything there other than water. But I've never seen a child who is as picky as mine and he's not the norm ;)

At my lo's school they also have a sandwich option, so they will have to pick the hot choice or a sandwich, a potato or rice and a veg or salad. Today she had cheese salad sandwiches, broccoli and potatoes.
Also on her dessert menu there is a choice of two puddings, or yogurt or cheese and biscuits every day.
When they start school you get a copy of the menu for every day so maybe somedays you could try her with the cooked dinner and then the days you really know she wont eat anything send her a packed lunch?

Louis is a very fussy eater but when he was at his old nursery he used to eat all sorts so I want him to have the school dinners in September. The menu they have at the moment is lovely, different choices too. If I gave him a packed lunch I doubt he'd eat it.

Jacob was SUCH a fussy eater before he started school. Wouldn't even touch pasta! But I thought peer pressure would work wonders on him, and you can't argue with free school meals! He's actually so much better now, loves Pasta and tries new things every week without much of a fuss.

I send Earl with packed lunch twice a week. On a wednesday they always do a roast and he hates, and I mean with a passion, hates roast dinners! lol And on a friday, EVERY FRIDAY they have fish fingers and as much as he likes fish fingers, he started to get really sick of them. Now I send him with pack up on a friday and we have fish fingers for tea every now and again lol.

He eats the hot dinner most days - it's not like it used to be at all. I've been pleasantly surprised. Earl's school is quite rigid (only one option - no choice) and even they have quite a varied menu. His particular favourites are the turkey meatballs and the venison burger! I kid you not! lol

My son eats anything put in front of him, so school lunches have never been an issue. I do choose to send him with a packed lunch on certain days where I'm not fond of the entree of choice, though. DD may be another story. I see much more packed lunches in her future when she starts Kindergarten this Fall.

My dd is quite fussy. She will not try anything new at all. I am actually surprised At the school lunChes because they have a pretty good range, and on the days that there isnt a hot meal she likes, they have sandwiches/baguettes that I know she will eat. They have 3 weekly menus and rotate them. Shd doesnt start school until August but this put my mind at ease, because school lunches were a sorry of mine.
The teachers at the nursery guaranteed me that she would see all of the other kids drink milk and water, and she would eventually drink them too... Well its over a yea. Later and she still hasnt even tried. Stubborn little miss!

Here is her schools menu for the first two weeks

https://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s521/paigesmummyxx/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-05-19-17-45-02_zpslgtmmgjp.png

Maria is a pretty fussy eater but she eats really well at daycare according to her teacher. They have no choices at all - all the kids eat the same unless they have allergies and apparently they all eat. There's no option for packed lunch anyway so its eat what's there or go hungry. It'll be the same in school (same kitchen provides the meals for the daycares and the schools in my town).

thanks everyone . I suppose I could try it before writing the idea off completely but I am fairly confident she will refuse and just drink water :rofl:

I rarely let him take a packed lunch as i think it's important for him to try new foods, saying that though his school so a jacket potato and plain pasta every day, with beans, cheese or tuna, and he generally has one of those. They do a roast every Wed, I wish he'd try it! The meals at his school look gorgeous, deffo not mince and cabbage!!

My daughter has packed lunch twice a week.usually Tuesday and Thursday as them days seem to be curry or chilli and she's a bit fed up of them now! Also her best friend has packed lunch so she likes to be able to eat with her some days.lucky she's not really fussy enless its cheese!!

I send Earl with packed lunch twice a week. On a wednesday they always do a roast and he hates, and I mean with a passion, hates roast dinners! lol And on a friday, EVERY FRIDAY they have fish fingers and as much as he likes fish fingers, he started to get really sick of them. Now I send him with pack up on a friday and we have fish fingers for tea every now and again lol.

He eats the hot dinner most days - it's not like it used to be at all. I've been pleasantly surprised. Earl's school is quite rigid (only one option - no choice) and even they have quite a varied menu. His particular favourites are the turkey meatballs and the venison burger! I kid you not! lol

Oh wow. Our menu has 4 week rotation to avoid this

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->