School - Reward System

J

Jade--x

What reward system does your child/ren's school use? Do you like it and think it works?

My brother has come home from school really upset today because he's had his badge taken off him at school (they use the badge system of every so often the teacher decides who is bronze, silver, or gold and if you're naughty you go down one, but everyone starts at bronze my brother was on gold) Now if he had of been bad..Fair enough! But he came home in floods of tears so my Mum went to speak to his teacher and his reasons for taking him from gold to silver were;

- He doesn't do extra homework (They have homework which he always does, but they have optional extra homework for extra merit and these are 9 year olds! My brother does football 4 times a week, swimming, and spinning he does the extra stuff if he has time though not always and my Mum even offered the teacher when we went abroad for 2 weeks to give him some work to do and he'll do it while we're there!! If that's not fricking extra I don't know what is!!)
- There's a disruptive child in the class who disrupts him, but it's not just him he disrupts quite a few other children..So why the hell has this disruptive child still got his badge?!

I don't get it it's so unfair!! My brother isn't a bad kid, he's quiet very intelligent and just keeps himself to himself no other teacher has ever said anything about him but praise, except this one.

That sounds really crappy :(

In my boys' school they have a few different reward systems. One is they start on green everyday, there are 3 colors above green and 3 colors below green. If they are very good, going above and beyond what's expected of them they can move up to blue. Then if they are very good, usually for a few days they might move to purple. Pink is if they've been outstanding for a long period of time, it almost never happens. Then for punishment they usually get a warning but if the continue doing whatever it is they move to yellow and they get their folder signed, miss 5min of recess. If they are really bad they would move to orange, folder signed, miss 10min of recess. Even worse they move to red, usually go to the office, call to a parent, folder signed, miss all of recess. It would really take a lot to go to red though. The good thing about the system though is say they move to yellow early in the day but then the rest of the day they are on task, following directions well, all of that they can move back up to green. They also get "reset" each day, every morning everyone is back to green, it's a fresh start.

They also have golden tickets. Which each teacher carries and they can only give them to students who are not in their class. So if they catch them in the hallway walking in "star formation" (They are Shackelford Stars so they call it star formation, really means walking with hands to your side/behind your back, facing forward, no talking, in line, etc), they are caught helping another student, going above and beyond they can give them a golden ticket. The student then fills it out and turns it in to a jar by the office, they get a star for turning one in. Then like once a month, sometimes once a week, the office staff will draw a few names from the jar and they win something...sometimes it's an ice cream sundae party, sometimes it's time to play on the ipads, sometimes it's time on the Wii, it can be all sorts of things.

I really like the systems they use. The classroom one is great because they don't carry it into the next day, sometimes you just have a bad day and it's good they can come back the next day with a clean slate. I also like that they can earn their way back up the "ladder". I really like the golden tickets because it makes teachers get to know all the other students in the school, not just focus on their class. Every teacher and staff member in that school knows each of my kids even though they aren't their teacher and I love that.

It sounds a bit like the system they have at my sons school (although my son is only 5 and i'm not sure if the system follows them right through the school). They have what's called 'golden time' at the end of the week - i think it's about 30-60min of free play. During the week they start off with all their names 'on the sunshine' if they are naughty they have to move their name from the middle, to the edge, onto the white cloud and onto the grey cloud. Depending on how far they have moved depends on how much of their 'golden time' they loose. Daniel has lost 5min quite a few times! (they loose it in 5min amounts). I know that he has only ever lost it for things like not doing what he was told, hitting etc.

It does seem quite harsh what your brothers teacher has made him loose his badge for but bare in mind that the teacher won't actually tell you anything about what the other child did or didn't do etc. I don't think he should of lost it for not doing the extra homework, unless they are expected to do it.

Mommyof3co the system they use at your school sounds really good! My brother says this other boy just shouts and talks to everybody constantly and if they ignore him he hits and kicks them, but quite a few parents have said how unfair it is, especially those parents of boys, my brothers teacher seems to favourite the girls and single out the boys.
There's a couple that do it, they have their favourites and those favourites generally are the more 'naughty' of children and if they have 1 well behaved day they're rewarded like crazy and have the rules bent for them and the good kids kind of get punished.
My brother and his friend were round for tea (this is going back about 2 yrs) and I overheard them saying well b*** gets everything when he's naughty and we get ignored obviously you have to be a loud bully for teachers to like you' and I think that's an awful thing for them to be making 7 year olds think :nope: x

we have golden time on friday pm also, if anyone is naughty during the week and gets a warning 5 min is deducted from golden time, the older ones get house points also and after so many get bronze silver and gold certificates

I dont agree with taking things they have already earnt away?

My sons school has a system but my son also has his own lol and he has a good worker/warning/consequence (miss some of play). He has never had consequence though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->