School telling what to put in packed lunch?

xolily

Reaction score
My younger brother was sent home with a note from school today requesting that he not have chocolate in his packed lunch as it can upset other children who don't have it :wacko: REALLY!? his packed lunch usually consists of a sandwich, small chocolate bar/biscuit, yoghurt, 2 pieces of fruit and a cheesestring. oh and a drink obvs. do you think it's right that schools are now advising parents on what they put in their kids packed lunch? is it my mums problem that other kids are getting upset? seems crazy to me!

Harriet's at playgroup but its part of the school, and non of the kids are allowed sweets or chocolate either x

No I think it's absolutely ridiculous tbh. What I choose to put in my kids lunches is my choice and I'd be fuming if somebody tried to dictate otherwise. DIfferent if it was a lunchbox full of sweets but it's not!

We have this at our school......... We aren't allowed to give them chocolate, sweets, nuts, crisps or anything like that... I hate it :growlmad: I really struggle sometimes to find different things for their lunches. It's that bad that the dinner ladies go round and look in the childrens lunch boxes!!!

This is apparently due to our school having a "healthy eating" status!

i dont mind so much if its for allergy reasons but just cos other children get upset is a bit ridiculous :shrug: I always had packed lunches at school and dont remember ever getting 'upset' because my friend had a mars bars when I had a clementine LOL

Most schools here seem to have this to some extent, my nephew is only allowed treats in his lunch on Fridays. My nieces have to bring in "healthy lunch money" at the start of every week (can't remember how much) and they are given a lunch in school.
I'm used to it now so I don't see any issue really, when I was in primary school I either had a sandwich and an apple/orange or I came home for lunch.

We had this issue at my sisters school, they sent home a letter saying they couldn't have crisps, chocolate, biscuits, nuts or basically anything that wasn't a sandwich or fruit. We agreed with the no nuts in case of allergies but my mum told the school in no uncertain terms that she was her daugher and she paid for the food in her lunch box so would put what she liked in it and if the school was unhappy they could pay for her to eat school dinners. So many other parents complained too, now most of the kids have a sandwich/wrap/pasta, fruit, biscuit and cheese or something.

Yep no chocolate, crisps or any pop obviously.

Tell them where to get off! ... judging from the replies tho, i think i am in for a bit of a slap in the face when Luke starts big school this year :/

Not had anything sent home but they do encourage healthy eating.

I do sandwich, cereal bar, cheesestring, frube for kieran, i put in crisps or choc bar only if we have run out of something, i don't mind putting those sort of things but don't think the school would approve.

my nephew isnt allowed any choc, anything containing peanuts, crisps or fizzy drinks..
xx

hmmm! seems its quite common then. i could understand them showing concern if a kid turned up with a box full of chocolate/crisps. whats the difference between a chocolate bar and the cake and custard/icecream etc that they get with school meals? it'd seem packed lunches aren't allowed a "treat" !? x

I think it's a good idea, some parent send absolute garbage in the lunches, and it causes all sorts of behavioral problems and with so many children in one class room I don't blame them for not wanting it. My sons school has the same rules no chocolate, chips, pop, fruit snacks. But tbh even if they didn't have those rules I still wouldn't send that stuff. Makes kids hyper which makes it more difficult for them to pay attention and learn.

I can understand for allergy reasons or just to be healthy but this seems a bit extreme. Would they ban meat in fear of upsetting vegetarians?

we have this at our kids school also no junk food allowed at all x

This happened to my friend when she sent in a mini bag of maltesers one of the dinner lady's took them off her son. Well she went in and told them the calories and fat of the things they did allow which were all more than maltesers lol,
I think it's crap, if we decide something is an acceptable part of their diet then that's up to us, thy don't know everything the kids are eating so how can they decide what's unhealthy or not!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->