Schools and birthday treats?

smelly07

Mummy of 2 girls & wifey
Reaction score
Apparently at my daughters school, a few parents have complained about the children being able to give sweets/cakes out to their class friends on their birthdays........ The school will be sending out information asking for our thoughts about this before they make a decision regarding the matter............tbh it doesnt bother me, my daughter usually doesnt end up liking whats she is given anyway and i eat it...lol.... but still i dont think i would go as far as ruin it for the rest of the kids iykwim........whats your thoughts :lolly:

Fecking Jamie Oliver ruins all the fun :rofl:

Honestly I think it is going to the extreme now, when you forbid something kids always want it, thats why we have problems with teens and alcohol and pregnancy trust me I was pregnant at 18 and was a street urchant pissed on the streets from 12 upwards!!!

honestly its pathetic!!

a little sweet/chocolate/cake doesnt hurt if you deny kids something they want it more!!

my brother was told at school the other day (hes 8) that hes not allowed crisps!!! as part of a healthy diet they are fine!! he had a sandwich and fruit!! x

honestly its pathetic!!

a little sweet/chocolate/cake doesnt hurt if you deny kids something they want it more!!

my brother was told at school the other day (hes 8) that hes not allowed crisps!!! as part of a healthy diet they are fine!! he had a sandwich and fruit!! x

I remember my younger sister coming home from school once in tears because the teacher had thrown out her salt and vinegar crisps from her lunch box saying they were unhealthy. She has cystic fibrosis so actually she needs more calories and salt than the average person, my parents always told her she had to eat all her food so she could stay healthy and grow strong (and was meant to bring back wtv she didnt eat and empty containers so they could have an idea of what she had eaten for the day) she thought she was going to die because she didn't have her salty crisps!

Jamie Bast*rd Oliver strikes again :rofl:

I see nothing wrong with it.

V xxx

i wish jamie oliver would shut up. i really don't like him.
"blip blip blipping"

he drives me mad!

im not bothered either. usually amelies nursery bake them a cake and they share it out and give it to the mums and dads so they can pick but they have christmas and halloween parties and they have cakes.. idc.

tbh i think 90% of parents will feel the same...............i think its silly that some parents are going as far as complain to the school, my daughter loves giving out sweets on her birthday and i dont think it would have the same effect if she gave everyone a tomato.
Although with the crisp situation, they are allowed crips and a biscuit based treat or cake based treat in their lunch box...........once one valetines day i put a tiny foil wrapped chocolate heart and a note saying 'i love u' in my daughters lunch box and the dinner lady took the chocolate heart away.......it annoys me somewhat as if i put it in her lunch box then that means i dont mind her having it. .......its getting so silly.

i dont think they should be allowed to take things that the parents have put in the lunchbox out! they wouldnt do it to an adult why do it to a child?

if they are concerned about the child they should speak to the parents not embarrass the children in front of their friends! x

We are not allowed to have homemade cakes in school. Mainly to do with allergies and the fact you cannot guarantee nut free etc. If someone brings in sweets we send them home with them literally as they go out the door, so the parents can decide if the child is to have it.
The handing out of sweets etc is a tricky one because it clashes with the Health Promoting School message. This has been happening for the last 6 or so years so Jamie is innocent!

i dont think they should be allowed to take things that the parents have put in the lunchbox out! they wouldnt do it to an adult why do it to a child?

if they are concerned about the child they should speak to the parents not embarrass the children in front of their friends! x

We regularly have to take things out of lunch boxes which are 'banned' foods in school due to having kids with severe allergies. At breaks there are no crisps or sweets allowed either but that is a hard one as a lot of the kids in our school come with no breakfast in their tummies so I would prefer they had crisps to waiting until lunch for their first food of the day.

allergies to what? Nuts? Surely a HUGE amount of prepackaged things have nut warnings on them?

idk, as a parent i think I should decide what my child can and cannot eat, not a teacher.

I think it's getting beyond a joke....

Taking 'banned' food from kids lunchboxes? Wtf?

We give out nothing with a nut warning on. We are also a pea free zone, so no hummus or pea soup or lentil soup. Having seen a child with these allergies go into shock I totally support this policy.

As a teacher I am only following local authority policy regarding foods. Like most things in school it is our job to enforce policy, we don't make those decisions. The health promoting status comes from thd Executive so it is a national standard.

I thought you meant you took 'banned' foods from lunch boxes.

allergies to what? Nuts? Surely a HUGE amount of prepackaged things have nut warnings on them?

idk, as a parent i think I should decide what my child can and cannot eat, not a teacher.

same.
also the not allowing crisps and sweets due to allergies seems a bit.... silly?
i mean we didn't have this at school and im sure there were people with allergies there.

Neither crisps or sweets are banned from schools due to allergies unless they are nut based. It is to do with health promotion.

I thought you meant you took 'banned' foods from lunch boxes.

If someone comes in with a hummus sarnie it would be taken off them and they be given another. While allergies have always existed they are far more common now and those at the extreme end are more common too.

We give out nothing with a nut warning on. We are also a pea free zone, so no hummus or pea soup or lentil soup. Having seen a child with these allergies go into shock I totally support this policy.

As a teacher I am only following local authority policy regarding foods. Like most things in school it is our job to enforce policy, we don't make those decisions. The health promoting status comes from thd Executive so it is a national standard.

When I was kid I used to have peanut butter sandwiches in school, surely if a kid has these they can not throw them away what would the kid eat for lunch? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->