Second home birth despite complications with first? Advice/experiences wanted!!!

LuckyD

Mum to Lucy and Arlo!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Really looking for some help with this decision.

I had a home birth with my first LO, it was fantastic - a wonderful birth and I loved being at home. Unfortunately, I had a PPH and a 3rd degree tear (although not a really bad 3rd degree tear) and had to transfer to hospital after the birth for a couple of days. It was hard to estimate the blood loss but my notes say 1800mls and I had two blood transfusions, plus a load of stitches.

It has been hard to get to the bottom of why I had a PPH, as some notes say I had some retained placenta, others say the placenta was intact. My hospital notes are a mess!

I am currently pregnant with my second, and have been in discussion about the birth with my midwife. She is open to a homebirth or a hospital birth, but there are some things to consider:

- I may have another PPH (then again I may not!)
- I may tear again (although my midwife plans to be very hands on to try and prevent this)
- I am an hour away from a hospital

I went to look at the birthing suite at the hosptial, and while it is fine, I just really don't want to give birth there. Plus I don't want to have to drive an hour into hospital while I am in labour, probably with my daughter in the car, etc etc...

Obviously I want to do what is best, and I need to talk further with my midwife about it all. But I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts or experience around this topic? Anyone had a PPH with their first and not with the second? Or a 3rd degree tear? Or just any advice at all? I am struggling a lot with making this decision.

Thank you! Sorry it was so long!

if i was in NZ id be having a homebirth 100%

I tore with ds1 and ds2 and ds3 the first 2 in hospital the 3rd at home didnt want sitiches with ds3 so refused when i got checked out at the hospital a few hours later. , get yourself informed on the actual risks and then make your choice but if your MW is happy to support homebirth then she must not be worried about it

Well, she is happy to support it but also has reservations as we are so far from hospital....so it's not just an easy decision either way for me.

I am hoping I don't tear again! But with the level of tear I had last time there was no way I could have not had stitches.

I feel like I am informed on the risks but it just doesn't feel like a really easy decision you know what I mean? So many 'what ifs'. With my first I was just 100% sure about my home birth and that was that. This time it feels more complicated. Plus my damn iron is low (which is normal for me) but I need to get it higher because of my history of PPH.

I wish I could have a time machine to skip forward and see what the birth is going to be like!

I had a pretty serious PPH with #1 and did not with #2. Both were hospital births and as it turns out, the PPH was iatrogenic due to an inexperienced (and impatient) resident applying too much traction to the cord and tearing the placenta off the uterine wall. My third will be born at home. I think if you're comfortable and your MW is comfortable, you should go for it. Is there a physician nearby for back-up (even without a hospital)?

Thank you Anthrogirl - it's great to hear that your second birth didn't have the same complications as your first! All the very best for your homebirth this time around!

If I knew a bit more about what caused my PPH then I would probably feel a bit clearer about the decision, but as I mentioned, my hospital notes were a mess and contradicted each other quite a bit - so frustrating.

Not sure about a back-up physician - I live quite rurally. I will discuss it with my midwife though.

I agree if I am comfortable and the midwife is comfortable then to go for it...I guess I am just not sure IF I am 100% comfortable yet and I know while my midwife will support the idea she also said she has some reservations.

It's great to hear people's experiences...I think I need to just talk it all out a bit, so hearing from others is really helpful!

And now I'm reading PPH stories on the internet and freaking myself out :growlmad:

I dont have any advice but understsnd your thoughts, i delivered my first at home but was trans due to retained placenta which got complicated to remove and resulted in a nasty 2nd degree internal tear, any how i am preg again due abt oct and i also want a home birth, i woorry that its only 11 mths after my 1st born and i have a skin brdge of scar tissue to push through also! Bad repair job!!!!
My gut is telling me to go for s home birth unless there is a resl reason not too... i.e babys postion, ill health near the time e.t.c

Itsa tough one though.... but I think I will home birth unless an obstacle I cant prevent stops me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->