Second pregnancy, getting gestational diabetes at 12 weeks. FED UP

Bananaboatbat

Reaction score
Hello ladies! I am pretty upset. I had GD last pregnancy and figured I'd get it this time around (especially because I got pregnant again 4 months PP, hooray for IUD failures :)
And I test my sugars occasionally and my fasting sugar is already at 118 at 12 weeks along. I am stressed!!

With LO #1 I developed GD at 30 weeks with only high fasting levels. I started a diet and despite following it precisely, all of my sugar levels went up. Glyburide was prescribed and did nothing. Eventually I was put on two different types of insulin and had to inject myself 5-6 times a day with 10+ units of insulin. The insulin kept going up until I delivered and we were never able to get my sugar under control. It seemed like the insulin did nothing.
Despite never having controlled sugars the last 5 weeks or so of pregnancy, my LO was born 6 pounds 13 ounces and had normal blood sugar :).

I'm terrified though. Im developing it much earlier and I'm scared of how bad it will get by the time I deliver. And I'm not in a spot to do stress tests twice a week. I babysit as a main source of income, and I can't just "take off" or I'll be out of a job. Which we can't afford. Ugh. I don't know if there's any advice to be given. I just need to rant.

Can you go ahead and start a strict diabetic diet and see if that helps?

Rant away. Same situation here. Started insulin at 14 weeks this pregnancy, 11 weeks last pregnancy although had high sugars at 6 weeks. I too had very small gaps between each pregnancy (this is my 4th time with gd)... I wonder if that's a factor...?
Anyway, using insulin is way better than the complications that occur if you don't use it. GD is typically difficult to control as your needs are changing constantly right up until birth.

Hi ladies. I'm 30 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with Gestational diabetes 3 weeks ago. Looking for some help and advice xx
I saw a dietician last week and felt much better about things. A few of things I remember:
1. 14g carb snacks twice a day (was ecstatic to learn 2 finger kit kats, pom bears, quavers etc are 14g snacks!!)
2. Must eat carbs. Keep them limited. If I add protein and fats to the carbs then it helps my body break the carbs down easier.
3. Allow yourself a little sugar. I can have the odd sugar in my cup of tea!

So, with those things in mind I've really tried. But these last two days I've had high readings and I don't know why �� I could cry!
Yest I made homemade chilli (chopped tomatoes, baked beans, peppers, mince, chilli and onion) made pasta for family, I had a handful of doritos and filled my plate with spinach. A little later I had my 14g snack (3 mini cookies)... I was on a 'before' day so tested about two hours later and my bloods were 6.2! (supposed to be under 5.9!). This morning is an 'after day' I had two weetabix with semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea with one sugar. An hour later my readings were 9.5!!! I went for half hour walk and tested again, they were 4.5 then. What am I doing wrong?? ��

I'm no expert but if I were you I would replace the Doritos, cookies and kit kats. Have snacks like cheese and crackers, peanut butter on celery, strawberries with cool whip etc. when they say you can have carbs they really want you to focus on whole grain carbs, which are easier to break down. And have protein with you snacks to keep you level,
I had to give up Cheerios because it made my readings too high.
Try some sugar free Popsicles to satisfy your sweet tooth. And also watch portions. These things are helping me, I was recently diagnosed too. It's very frustrating

I am on GD pregnancy #3. DD1 diagnosed at 36 weeks and DD2 had it from 16 weeks, this time it started around 17.5 weeks.

I have been able to do diet control each time. This time is much harder though.

I have to say I have never followed NHS guidelines on diet, I'd just be straight on insulin. I am generally on a low carb diet and have had to learn a lot about what does and doesn't work for me.

I have learnt a lot from reading type 2 diabetic forums, a lot of people don't want medication and massively alter their diet to keep their numbers under control.

I personally can't imagine putting sugar in tea or eating kitkats!

I also got GD at 16 weeks this pregnancy (it is my first). I'm a research freak when I need to be and while of course I'm no expert, I think I'm quite up on my carb information. :)

Its also about eating the RIGHT carbs not just any carbs. I'm in the US, so I have found a lot of great substitutes and things I can eat. I have been diet controlled since being diagnosed. I do have to take insulin for my fasting number though.

I am also able to eat things like ice cream and brownies - just have to know what to eat and how to make it. I also started a GD pregnancy group thread where I posted a ton of ideas on foods and stuff. So, check it out if you want. :)

This is my 3rd GD pregnancy.

I was diagnosed at 28 weeks with my first, 11 weeks with my second and 11 weeks with this one. Insulin all 3 times unfortunately! Finding it much more scary and stressful this time though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->