• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Second time or more breastfeeders

mummyruston

New mummy to baby girl
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently 36w5d and planning very much so the BF as I bf'd my 3yo until she was 15m.

It was a massive struggle to begin with, she didn't latch, I had to express for days on end to get her to feed and it took over a week for a latch and around 2w before we fully established breastfeeding and that was with a lactation consultants support.

My question is - I'm pretty confident I know what to do as I cracked it and even though I had sleepless nights for well over a year - my question is will I find it easier the second time round as I know what I'm doing?

Depends on baby but I'd say likely yes. My first was really difficult. Next two were a breeze. My current lo is 4 weeks and finaaly not struggling. But even if you have some issues your confidence will be much higher and that alone will help you. I would be willing to bet though it will be a breeze now that you have the experience you have.

Lol I hope so! I'm with you. Bf was super challenging at first. I don't think it could have been any harder. At least we've been through it once so it won't be the same learning curve As with the fist.

My first was a preemie, so I had to pump for 2 weeks while he was in NICU, then 11 weeks on nipple shields. Real struggle to make BF work, but I'm still nursing him today at 26 months along with my second. She latched on with no real assistance at 1 hour old and has been feeding like a champ since, back to her birth weight in 4 days! The hardest part has been the fact that I am tandem nursing and switching from one child to the other results in nipple pain more so than just nursing the one, but its getting better and we are under 2 weeks in.

My first was a preemie, so I had to pump for 2 weeks while he was in NICU, then 11 weeks on nipple shields. Real struggle to make BF work, but I'm still nursing him today at 26 months along with my second. She latched on with no real assistance at 1 hour old and has been feeding like a champ since, back to her birth weight in 4 days! The hardest part has been the fact that I am tandem nursing and switching from one child to the other results in nipple pain more so than just nursing the one, but its getting better and we are under 2 weeks in.

Ouch, hugs, high five for tandem and well done you for sticking through it all.

Glad to hear after probably a very challenging birth and baby experience with your first your second was easier (both for you and selfishly).

Thanks for sharing! Hoping this one feeds well!

My second was much easier! With DS, it took about 8 weeks to get used to it and stop dreading feeds. With DD, I was happy and comfortable by 4 weeks. Now it's going great :)

It depends on the baby, but I also found bf much easier the 2nd time around. I was far more confident, had a much better idea of what I was doing, and what to expect.

I also plan on bfing my 3rd

My boys both had their own set of difficulties but I found that this time it's been much easier to power through any difficult times as I KNOW it's going to get better :)

With my first, I had a good selection of issues to work through such as poor latch and a low supply. Just had baby number two and so far, only a few minor hiccups but i've found it has been soooo much easier this time around. It really does come down to the baby in my opinion. :) Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->