Selective Mutism and stupid SENCOs

Angelicous

Reaction score
Hi
I'm back to bnb after a break :)
Does anybody have any info regarding getting SE diagnosed, treated?
My daughter was never formally given a diagnosis by anybody medical, but her school and nursery just gave her action plans etc without the medical diagnosis as it was obvious what the issue was.
Does a medical diagnosis help?
Does anybody have any infor regarding getting to see an educational psychologist etc?
I'm not particularly happy with the SEN co at her school and I don't think she's getting the help she needs.
Any advice, or just a a quick aww would be greatly appreciated! :blush:xxx

Hi I am a primary teacher and am sorry to hear about your daughter's selective mutism. I have taught quite a few children with special needs and as far as I know a school will get a number of visits a year from an Ed psych and the school would need to allocate one of those visits for your daughter. I'm afraid it will depend on the other children in the school and whether they need one more than your daughter if that makes sense. If you speak to her class teacher and try and get them to put a good case across to the Senco and hopefully get you one of the appointments. Hope things improve for you! xxx

Hello, to get a diagnoses you'd be best to go to your GP, ed psychs don't make diagnoses, just help the school (& wider services if needed) to put appropriate support and developmental / learning targets in place. Push your GP, perhaps ask your daughter's teacher for evidence to take along with you. Good luck

:hugs: hun

Has your child been seen by a Paediatrician who could make an onward referral to either Educational Psychology or Clinical Psychology? Also, has your child been seen by a Speech & Language Therapist? SM can be diagnosed if a language impairment is ruled out. I hope you get some answers soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->