Self settling

caz_hills

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My little one is only a month old so clearly I'm not expecting anything yet!

But I wondered what age babies start to self settle? Whatcan we do to help her?

I know from my son (now 5) that it took time and I just can't remember how we helped him! My daughter loves being held to sleep and that's lovely as we have great cuddles but just thinking ahead.

Thanks x

My oldest and youngest was around 6 months. my middle was very laid back and self settled early, maybe 2 or 3 months?

I think starting young is a great idea, it is so much easier with younger babies. Ive heard between 6-8 weeks is a good time to start. Just nurse or rock until sleepy then put them down eyes open still. If they fall asleep while nursing, gently wake them when you put them down so their eyes open then close again. Start young enough and there never has to result in tears (I cant stand crying babies, not my thing!)

I cosleep so naother method I just made up that works with my bbay is after he is done nursing (we nurse lying down him facing me) I turn him around and hug him until asleep. When he is facing me he always wants more milk because my boobs are right there, turning him away I can still hug him and he learns to fall asleep without nursing. It has helped loads with his nighttime sleeping! If he cries I just nurse again and try again!

Every baby is different. Mine did for the first time probably around 13 months or so. We never did any sleep training and bedshared and just let it happen on its own and she's generally been a good sleeper.

Mine never did as babies, they always required "props" of some sort. Generally feeding to sleep, being pushed in a pram etc etc.

The whole put them down drowsy but awake thing is a crock of shit for my kids, their eyes always fly wide open and they cry.

My first DD was an easygoing baby that settled without needing constant attention around 4 months old. My second DD is also an easygoing baby and settled at about 6 weeks... not kidding. As long as she is fed and changed, she's good. She is only 2 months old and even sleeps a good 6-8 hours a night. I can't ask for a better baby. Now my DS on the other hand was awful at settling. I don't think he did until he was close to a year old. He wouldn't sleep through the night until he was 18 months and even now at 2.5 years old still wakes up before everyone else. Every baby is different.

Neither of my babies would self settle & i hated it lol! They would only do it if fell asleep in carseat or pushchair, i think it was because they both got warmth & comfort from being breastfed & fell asleep at the boob, soon as id put them down.. BAM wide awake! Those baby sleep sacks help, if i ever put mine down when still half awake drowsy they would be wide awake in seconds & scream for Mumma! Every baby is diff, my daughter at 10wks now very rarely sleeps in the day zzzzZ & my 4yr old son didnt sleep much either, he started to sleep through the night around 18months - 2yrs!

DS uses to settle himself really well between about 3 months and 8 months then stopped. Since then he has needed holding to sleep even now at 17 months there is no sign of us being able to put him down even drowsy. TBH though it only takes 10 minutes to get him to sleep and some days it's the only cuddles I get from him as he's such a little
Whirlwind of activity.

I'm finding good luck using white noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->