SEN Assessment

MumOfPlenty

Expecting squishy #6...
Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this in special needs last week but no replies, so reposting here, hope you don't mind.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of a child with dyslexia and the way it presented itself?

My husband is dyslexic and it runs in his side of the family, just as an aside, I know it's hereditary.

My daughter is 7, she has recently got to school (it took 3 years of waiting to get her in, we had her try 2 different schools and got no support so I home-schooled in the meantime) and is in year 2.

Today we got a call from the school saying that one of us (hubby or I) need to go in on Monday to have a meeting with the SENCO - we've decided it's best if my hubby goes as he understands the condition firsthand. We figure she's going to need an assessment - I'm sure my hubby mentioned it when he called me to tell me about it - But just what does an assessment involve?

The thing is, thinking about it, and reading up on the signs etc on the british dyslexia association info page - it seems she has it - I'm jumping no guns here but she does fit the criteria. I thought when I was homeschooling that she had attention issues and it was caused by me - being mum - and that she just didn't want to learn with me. My hubby and I had numerous conversations about whether she could be dyslexic and as far as I was concerned, it was always a no - Children learn at their own speed, and sometimes it takes a while to 'get it' - She's not been so very different from her two older brothers in that respect and they've not got any difficulties at all.

Maybe not - we asked in one school she attended (after being there for a year) if there was any chance she could be dyslexic and they said no. However, they had issues with her not making friends etc - maybe this was a potentially lost opportunity for it to be picked up on?

I guess I'm asking for advice and some support here. Floundering, somewhat - and feeling immensely guilty that maybe I should have picked up on it sooner - I'm kinda worrying if I've let her down in some way here.

Help? Advice? Please?

hey hunny! :wave: im sorry you haven't had any response on this matter, as I can sense you're concern. i'm afraid I can't help or give any advice either really, but just wanted to say that you mustn't blame yourself for anything. The decisions you have made up to know have been made with consideration and your Daughters best interests at heart.

Go to the meeting, see what they have to say and go from there. If she does fit the criteria for dyslexia then I'd imagine that would explain her lack of concentration if things are proving slightly difficult for her. Have you tried those coloured sheets that you place over texts to stop the words jumping and moving around? Im sorry,I don't know a lot about it really.

I do hope you get the answers you need soon :flower: xx

Hi.

I'm sorry that i can't give any advice. My daughter has SEN but she's only 3 1/2 so we don't know if dyslexia is an issue or not yet.

As the PP said - go to the meeting (or OH) and see what they say and take it from there. I would say that the school she attended was right in saying no to her being dyslexic. Until children are a certain age a lot of them show signs that they could be dyslexic so the school didn't see anything wrong. I think it is around 7 or 8 that they can first pick it up.

Rest assured that dyslexia isn't as major an issue as it used to be. With the help that school will provide your daughter will be fine.

Let me just say first, that if our girl does have dyslexia, it's not a problem for us - we're both well placed, as parents, to understand and help her with any problems.

So - The meeting - The school didn't mention the 'd' word - They are concerned that she is behind. She is in year 2 and working at the beginning of a year 1 level. So that's the schools concern. For now.

My issue is that when she left year 1 she still couldn't read. I thought this was just her taking her time and that was our main focus for learning at home. We were very happy that by the time she got to her new school she could actually read! (hurrah for homeschool!) :thumbup:

However, she is to be seen by an educational psychologist and presumably assessed by them. There was a lot of in depth paperwork to fill out, many developmental questions etc.

So I guess she'll be getting help at some point... Which is all that matters, I'll update when I know more.

Thanks for your replies ladies, it is hard not to feel judged and guilty, even if it's something that can't be helped. I guess I just worry about my girl!

Was she behind in any other way in her early years?

I help out with year 2 at my sons school. I also worked with them in year 1 so I have seen them really improve. There are a few children who when they started in year 2 were at the same level as my son who had just started in year 1 and was quite behind his classmates.
In the last few months I have really seen them improve. Children who looked like they would always be behind have suddenly understood words. The optimum age for learning is 7/8years so hopefully your daughter will really start improving in the next few months.
Hopefully the school will really get behind her and you and help.

She was a v late walker - like 2 before she walked. Late compared to our others but just her way. She was content being a baby!

She is a proper bright spark. Her dad has looked at some of her work and he thinks she probably is dyslexic. They share a lot of traits in regards to reading/writing/working things out. However, we haven't mentioned the 'd' word to her or to the school as we would like it to be picked up on from her own merits if at all..

However, on the paperwork we've just had to fill out so she can have this educational psychologist assess her we had to say about her dad having it, as they specifically asked. I wouldn't say she's behind in any other respect.

If they school don't mention about dyslexia soon i would say something.
My niece is in year 6 and if very bright generally. Her english work has always lagged behind her other subjects but as she was very ahead in her other subjects the school were't worried about it. That's until her teacher in year 5 recognised that she is actually dyslexic. If the school had picked up in it sooner then it would of really helped her and she would of been going to senior school with things already in place.
I know that schools are reluctant to diagnose dyslexia too early as lots of children show signs of it up to about 7 or 8 but it might be worth you saying something sooner. Although as you've written about your OH being dyslexic then that should get them thinking along those lines, especially given that she isn't behind in other ways.

We'll just see what the psychologist says. I think if they're worth their salt it'll be one of the first things they look for. I guess we just have to wait and see and go from there.. Will be nice to know though! :flower:

Yeah it does make it easier when you know. At least you know what is going on even if it's not something you want to hear.
I'm sure that the psychologist should pick up what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->