Serial casting

Islas_mummy

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Hello!

I don't know if this is the right place to post, as my daughter hasn't been diagnosed with any special needs. However, i know that children can have serial casting for lots of different reasons including Cerebral Palsy. So thought I might get some info here.

My daughter is an idiopathic toe walker, she has walked on her tiptoes since she could walk. We went to see a consultant yesterday and he said she has to be put in leg casts for 6 weeks. She was brilliant having them on and has adapted well so far walking and sleeping in them.

I am just wondering if anyone has gone through this before? And if it actually works, she is still trying to walk on her tiptoes with the casts on!

Any information or tips would be great.

Thanks ladies x

Hi - we had casting for club foot but the results were amazing ! Xx

I actually had ths done myself when I was younger, along with nighttime splints and regular calf stretching it was fixed! Have been perfectly fine since :)

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. My son had this done last year. He was being treated for idiopathic tiptoe walking too. He was having problems with his tendons as a result of it.

The treatment was cut short because he was showing no improvement. For us, we'd take the casts off on tuesday night and he'd have them put back on on wednesday. As soon as they took the casts off he went straight back up, and actually overcompensated by being up even higher.

Can your daughter put her heels on the floor at all? My son could, although was on tiptoes 90% of the time. For him, it's helped to remind him from time to time. He does seem to have grown out of it a little, he walks on his tiptoes for about 50% of the time now.

We recently went to see the podiatrist and he's said he will need casting again at some point.

It's definitely worth a try.

Thank you so much for your replies! It's good to hear from people who have had it done too!

isil she can put her heels down, but unless I remind her she walks on her tiptoes and even just stands there on her tiptoes all the time. The consultant said her tendons were fine though thankfully.

She's had them on for just over a week now, and first of all she was still walking on her toes in her casts. But the past few days I have noticed a HUGE improvement already, she seems to be walking flatfooted most of the time. We have been constantly reminding her to walk "heel-toe-heel-toe". I am anxious to have them off on thursday and see if she will go back straight on her tiptoes!

TTc Baby M that's great that it worked for you!! I've heard lots of negative things, so fingers crossed we'll be one of the lucky ones like you!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->