severe heart problem and possible Down's syndrome, need someone to talk to :(

RileysMummy13

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've had a very eventful pregnancy, I'm currently 31 weeks and I've already been in hospital twice with contractions and possible preterm labour which was stopped.
I went in on Monday with contractions, and on Tuesday the doctor insisted on me having a scan on my baby to see the possible cause for some cramps I was having. The woman doing the scan had a look at the heart and found some problems and I was told to go to Oxford for a more detailed look.
That was yesterday and my baby does have a severe heart problem. I'm devastated.
His right side is a lot thicker than it should be and there is a problem with his valves which push some blood the wrong way in the heart. A massive plus side is that my little man is coping so well and he is functioning like a normal baby, like there is no problem with his heart. There is a chance of it getting worse and they are keeping a very close eye on it. The person who done the scan said she has seen it in Down's syndrome, my risk at first was 1:26670 but it has decreased slightly but I don't know how much that has decreased. There is fluid around his heart also, but not enough to be a cause for concern.
I'm not attempting to find out whether my baby will have Down's syndrome, I would if I knew it would help with treatment with his heart but as I know it won't I've decided not to.
I was told that this isn't rare and it does happen and I'm just hoping that someone on this site can talk to me? I just need someone right now :( thank you

Giant hugs!! :hugs: I'm not sure what to say but I didn't want to read and run <3
He sounds like a fighter :) our thoughts are with you and peanut! I hope it doesn't mean too much medical intervention when he's born?

Aww thank you! Means a lot to me right now :( they're not looking at any kind of operation but just medication which is a relief! The thought of my little man goon through an operation is too much so just hope that medication is enough x

It's easy to say but it's important to focus on the positives, your little boy is doing well and that's fantastic. I'm sorry I have no experience or advice but am defiantly thinking of you and bubs. Was there anything unusual at your 20 week scan?

Hugs, Hun. The fact that your baby is thriving inside with the heart issues is very positive. Does your babies 'heart condition' have any sort of a name? It may help you to connect with similar moms. My friend had a baby three years ago with HLHS, and the support she got from other 'heart moms' was great. He son is thriving, btw.

Oh that's a plus! Hopes and prayers that he doesn't have to go under the knife <3
Lighter note; have you got everything ready? :D you're getting close *squeaks with excitement* lol.

Hey immy11, it's okay no worries and thank you :) nope nothing come up on the 20 week scan, everything seemed normal. I did have a very stroppy woman do the scan though and ended the scan abruptly as my baby was in an awkward position! But I know that if there wasn't enough then they would have asked me to go back surely :) always will be on my mind!

Hey Catherinek, I wasn't told a name for it but it is on my list of questions I want answered on my appointment on Monday! Thank you for mentioning this heart moms group, I wasn't aware of it and I will deffo look into it :)

And hey expecting1, I have everything I need so it's just a case of putting it all together! I do need to pack a bag for Monday as if I will deliver just in case :) scary but so exciting still to see my little man!

Thank you ladies :) xxx

Eeekkk Monday!!!! I'll def be keeping an eye out for your username so I can see pics if he makes an appearance :D

No experience at all with anything like this, just wanted to add another hug & well wishes. x:hugs:

A lot of pictures will be taken, I will update you on Monday if I'm able too :) Monday sure seems like a log way away but today has gone by pretty fast for me so hopefully my days keep like this :)
Thank you cupcakekate and dani_ldn xxx

I wish I had advice to offer but I don't. Just want to give you some support. I don't know where the strength comes from, from mothers that have to deal with illnesses or problems during pregnancy and once their baby is born, but it comes. I've seen it in other mother's and it just amazes me. Your family is in my prayers. I hope you receive some encouraging news soon.

I've no advice here either but just wanted to give huge :hug: :hug: :hugs:

Biggest hugs! Glad to hear that he is doing well despite the heart condition... sounds like a little fighter!

No advice but hugs to you and good luck for Monday. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"