Sewing machines for beginners

mumandco

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a sewing machine for an absolute beginner please.

Also any tips would be gratefully recieved :)

I'm a beginner too, and didn't want to spend crazy amounts on one at first. I went with this one https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-multi-stitch-sewing-machine/569488-1000

It's a bargain and I'm loving it so far!

That's really cheap!
What sort of things are you doing with it?

Well I use reusable wetwipes so just planning on making some of them,maybe a pillow case or 2 for the boys. Just crafty bits for the children really

I'm a beginner too, and didn't want to spend crazy amounts on one at first. I went with this one https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-multi-stitch-sewing-machine/569488-1000

It's a bargain and I'm loving it so far!

That looks fab,what kind of things are you using it for if you don't mind me asking? My oh is a am I reluctant as am I to spend a lot really just incase it ends up gathering dust

I was going to suggest Hobby Craft as I recently saw it in the shop.

I too want to start doing little bits so I am asking my parents to get me a sewing machine for my birthday then Mum can teach me how to make some bits!!

The ikea one £45 is supposed to have really good reviews but I live miles away from one :/ and would only be worth my while to go up if I was getting other things, of course once there id end up buying half the store which is half the reason I don't want to go haha

Depends what you want it for, if the most you'll ever do on it is a bit of bunting then go for a cheap one.

But if you want to make clothes then get a better quality one - you'll need a minimum of a straight stitch, zig zag stitch and buttonhole stitch for dressmaking. A reasonable machine that will last snd be smooth to work with will cost £100 and upwards (really flash ones go up to a grand!). Singer and Brother are very good makes. If you get a quality one go to an independent sewing shop (not hobbycraft) or John Lewis and make sure you get a warranty. You can also get machines serviced.

If you are planning on getting into a lot of sewing then a good machine is well worth the investment, they do work a lot better. My mum had her last one for 30 years and only bought a new one because she wanted some new embroidery features. It got a LOT of use too including my wedding dress! If you're not sure how much you'll use it try a cheap one first and you can invest more later if you want to.

ETA I used to sell sewing machines and I sew

I bought my first cheepy sewing machine several years ago and from making a few curtains and cushions for myself, I now make all sorts including CE'd toys, keepsake bears and quilts etc. I found sewing as adictive as all the other crafts I do. In all honesty, the begining machine I got just did not cut the mustard once I experienced using a slightly better quality machine. The one you are looking at is really only for thin cotton sewing and is really a false economy. We recently discussed them on one of my craft forums. (I can share the link with you by pm, but I don't think I am allowed on the forum)
If you can afford to buy a full size machine then you'd be a lot better off with thickness of fabric they will take. The Brother basic machines come with a years guarantee and are incredibly reliable. You can get them for about £79.
The other alternative is to see if you can borrow a friends machine.

Creative I'd love the link to the forum please. Maybe il give the the hobby craft one a miss then and just spend a little extra. Just got to try and convince the oh to let me buy one now haha.

I have been seeing some really nice Christmas decorations/keepsakes around the internet which i would like to try out. Would the Brother X5 (on Argos) be ok for these?
I wouldnt only use it for decorations (wanna try out that sock money in the other thread too :thumbup:)

I have been seeing some really nice Christmas decorations/keepsakes around the internet which i would like to try out. Would the Brother X5 (on Argos) be ok for these?
I wouldnt only use it for decorations (wanna try out that sock money in the other thread too :thumbup:)

Have you got any links to the Christmas decorations ;) I'm sooo gonna attempt to make some Christmas bunting this year

Bunting
https://www.allaboutyou.com/craft/p...wing-for-the-home/sew-christmas-bunting-56926

Assorted

https://www.bhg.com/christmas/crafts/make-christmas-ornaments-with-felt/#page=3

Bunting
https://www.allaboutyou.com/craft/p...wing-for-the-home/sew-christmas-bunting-56926

Assorted

https://www.bhg.com/christmas/crafts/make-christmas-ornaments-with-felt/#page=3

Brill thanks :)

I've been using a simple Brother sewing machine for probably close to 10 years now. They hold up well to neglect (I've only oiled it once!) and they're very versatile. I think they normally cost about 70-80 dollars, but it's well worth it. The only problem I've had is trying to sew super heavy-weight fabric better suited for an industrial machine (multilayered denim, outdoor canvas, etc).

I am getting my aunties sewing machine when her house is cleared ( she passed away april time :() I want to make a memeory quilt out of LO clothes :) my other aunts going to help. I think its a singer machine, but it must be old! xxxx

I am getting my aunties sewing machine when her house is cleared ( she passed away april time :() I want to make a memeory quilt out of LO clothes :) my other aunts going to help. I think its a singer machine, but it must be old! xxxx

The older machines were made much sturdier and designed to last. before you use it clean all the fluff out of the spool holder and oil the moving parts. Hope you have a longand fruitful life together.

oh and most importantly put a new needle in too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->