sex vs. internal exam, and dilation question

minkie

Pregnant with #4
Reaction score
So I have been reading online that some women refuse to have internal exams while pregnant, but those same women will have sex with there partner...now I'm just wanting to understand....isn't having sex much more invasive and rough (not to mention all the germs on a male wanker) then a quick and gentle and STERILE internal ultrasound or quick check for dilation? Any views on this? Also quick question about dilation -- is a woman who has had multiple births always going to be finger tip dilated on the outside? Or does that not matter?

I just had an internal ultrasound and cervix check over the weekend and it hurts a lot more than sex. A winkie doesn't go up to your cervix unless your man is hung like a horse. I'm not opposed to either lol but i will say the internal was quite painful when I had my cervix checked. (granted my hubby has been deployed for 3 months so I haven't had any sex) But i don't remember sex hurting like that!

Your body/immune system have already been exposed to your partners germs & cells, in fact your body has processes in place to protect your baby who shares some of your partners genetic material. Your partner, whether using his hands or his "wanker" is the least of your infection worries.

In the United States, our hospitals are notorious for causing infections. Though they try to keep things sterile, your chances of getting antibiotic resistant bacteria is higher in the hospital than almost anywhere else! So I wouldn't be completely assured that an internal exam whether with a gloved hand or a internal u/s is completely germ free, and the germs you are likely to get in the hospital are likely to be the bad ones. (I came home from the hospital after my son was born only to go back to be treated for cellulitis--as staph infection I picked up at the hospital. I'm told its probably from my episiotomy incision---something wasn't as sterile as it was supposed to be. And my grandpa almost died from abx resistant staph he got in the hospital after a hip surgery. I know 3 women whose C-section incisions wouldn't heal because of abx resistant staph--from the hospital OR. It's very common to get an infection from the hospital.)

Most internal exams take place in labor--most likely you are not having sex in labor after your water has been broken. But women get several internal exams in labor to check their progress. This increases the risk of infection especially once your water is broken.

And yes, a woman who has had a baby will have a slightly dilated cervix. There's a mucous plug in place which protects your bag of waters from breaking & infection. But many women lose their plug 3-4 weeks before baby is born--during the time in pregnancy where they get internal exams to check dilation at their regular OB appointments.

AH very informative Sohpie thank you. I have been getting TV ultrasounds every two weeks at my OB's office because of pre cancerous cells that I had a LEEP for not to long before getting pregnant, so they have to check often to make sure my cervix isn't giving out. It's never been painful or uncomfortable (I have a very skilled doctor) and always very quick so I guess that is why I was wondering, my husband and I haven't had much sex since falling pregnant guess I'm always worried about germs and what not (not to mention not in the mood!!) so it is good to know that isn't really an issue.

sorry i know its a serious thread but you guys said 'wanker'! Tee hee

lol yah, never quite sure what term to use for that...I don't like any of them!! :haha:

Great questions!

I have heard the same as far as infection is concerned. The other variable is whether or not you are comfortable. I am not comfortable with exams so they generally hurt. I haven't had one so far with this pregnancy :happydance:

It seems to depend on the size of the doctor's hands too... if they have small hands, they have to push harder to reach... yuck. It hurts just thinking about it. I have several friends who had complications due to internal exams as well. It can cause infection, break your water, etc.

Anyway, with sex, you are usually ready and willing! Which makes a big difference in how it feels.

I am hoping to pop the baby out before anyone has the chance to check me :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->