Shanandboc birth story of baby Elleah :)

ShanandBoc

Reaction score
Well i thought i better get started in writing this out or i may never get around to it lol.

It all started on Wednesday the 3rd Nov at around 1-2 am in the morning. I started getting contractions and had them on and off all day, mainly 15 - 20 mins apart but no real pattern to them, was in alot of pain right from the beginning, breathing through contractions and alot of back pain.

That night (just after midnight on the 4th) i rang the birthing and assessment suite at my hospital after some strong ones that made me cry in pain and even tho my contactions were still only 10, 15, 20 sometimes disappearing for an hour and still very erractic, i was very uncomftable so they told me to come in so they could check me out.

Well around 2am we arrived at the hospital and i had an internal, my cervix was still basically closed and i was told was only just starting to open so i was told to go home as i was in the latent labour stage and was told i could go on like this for days yet as was my first baby. We were so disappointed....they gave me some panadol forte to take when i got home but that did nothing, was awake and in pain all night, my second night in a row with no sleep :(

Contractions continued all day Thursday (4th) and i lost my plug and had my show when i got up at around 9am, i knew this was well and truly it. They gradually got more regular but still averaging around 10 mins apart, the pain was crazy already!

Early Fri morning, again around 1:30am we rang the hospital again to say we were coming in, even tho we were told to wait till contractions were 5 mins apart for at least an hour, my body was telling me to go.

On arrival they did another internal (these are awful) and was told i was 3cm dialated and fully effaced, i was in active labour :happydance: - this is 48 hours after contractions first began and my third night with no sleep.

At 6am i was 5cm and at some stage after this they broke my waters, it took 2 attempts

I handled the pain to begin with, with only a tens machine on my back - i highly reccommend! and a heat pack on my belly and deep breathing until about 10ish (this is a guess) when i started using Gas. - was a godsend at this stage. I continued with Gas, tried to get up and about, sat on the birthing ball - this was also great , stood up through contractions for a while too with DH holding me, and each time i felt a contraction coming, id get on the gas! We had a shower together too

I got an internal again around 2pm was 8cm after 12 hours....at this stage i had pethadine, i kept refusing an epidural. I didnt even want the pethadine but the pain was excrutiating and i would later find out why it was so bad.

They told me she should be here in around 4 hours and they would do another internal at 4....well i was still 8cm so they told me they would check me again in another few hours. I was starting to think it was never going to end by this stage....the only way i can describe it is like an out of body experience, i dont think anything can really prepare u for labour.

At another check at just before 8pm i was still only 8cm :cry: and was getting contractions very close together for the past few hours, i was in agony. The doctor said they wanted to put me in for a c section as it had gone on for too long - 18 hours since i was 3cm.

So i was scared and out of my mind in pain by this stage....i got taken in for the section and while they were prepping me for the spinal tap i was getting contractions every 1-2 mins.....was unbearble i didnt even care what they were putting in my back all i could think about was the pain. Next i knew i was getting put on the operating table and had gone numb from around the top of my belly down - a very strange feeing. You can still feel them pulling but there is no pain. Before i knew it i heard a cry and my DH looked over the sheeting and the look on his face said it all and then my daughter was plopped on my chest. I was in utter shock, i could barely speak, couldnt cry or smile or anything......the pics below say it all lol.

Elleah was posterior and got stuck in my pelvis......she had her head tilted right back when they pulled her out

Recovery was awful, i wont lie......i would never elect to have a c section as not only do u have to recover from the labour and look after a new baby but you also have the pain and discomfort from major surgery to deal with with. I found the recovery worse than the labour.

Anyway some of the times may not be accurate as i was out of it towards the end but thats my recollection of it, but when reading it back doesnt seem to do any justice of the actual experience of it.:flower:

some pics

Attachments

• 100_4864.jpg
    100_4864.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_4865.jpg
    100_4865.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_4871.jpg
    100_4871.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_4874.jpg
    100_4874.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_4875.jpg
    100_4875.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 41
omg Shan what a delivery :o you do look utterly exhausted and in complete shock... but to go through days and days of labor and not sleeping to end up with an emergency section as well.... MAN what a nightmare. Thank god you have your perfect girl with you now and you will heal up all lovely and fine..

This is why I have opted for an elective c section, I could try to deliver mine breech but I'd rather have a non emergency section so I'm not already at exhaustion point.

LOADS of love xxx

aww hun - you did so well coping for so long with no sleep!

The pics of the 3 of you just after she was born brought a tear too my eye :cry: My OH missed that bit :(

Lol xx

Congratulations! Your birth sounds a LOT like my first one right down to the really painful recovery. Unfortunately, the section recovery is always awful after you've already labored for a long time. I hope yours speeds up in a couple of weeks and you're back to your normal self.
Your daughter is beautiful!

Oh Shan what a birth story !!! COngrats you you and hubby on the birth of your princess! she is gorgeous :) Hope your recovery goes well and fast ! xxxx enjoy every moment xx

I hope so too, want to start taking her for walks and exercising i feel so horrible sitting around all the time. Guess i have to be patient! x

Yes, just take it easy. Are you guys home already? You both must be soooo smitten :)

I can totally sympathise. I had my little boy one week ago after 94 hrs of labour followed by an emergency section. Hopefully you're on the mend now and enjoying every moment with lo

Love and hugs x x x

Oh sweetie congratulations! That is really quite similar to my birth story other than the fact that yours ended with a section and mine with Poppy being forced out with forceps damaging my pelvis for life and 3rd degree tears, made me cry to read it all. Hope you recover quickly, Your princess is so beautiful, well done you for getting through that! I know what you mean about writing it but not seeming like the story does justice to the reality xxxx

Yes, just take it easy. Are you guys home already? You both must be soooo smitten :)

Yeah we are home after a 5 day stay in hospital (which felt more like 5 weeks)
and yes we are totally smitten with her :cloud9:

I can totally sympathise. I had my little boy one week ago after 94 hrs of labour followed by an emergency section. Hopefully you're on the mend now and enjoying every moment with lo

Love and hugs x x x

You poor thing....its hard work isnt it, the recovery really takes it out of u esp seeing as its hard to recover and rest with a newborn to look after!

Oh sweetie congratulations! That is really quite similar to my birth story other than the fact that yours ended with a section and mine with Poppy being forced out with forceps damaging my pelvis for life and 3rd degree tears, made me cry to read it all. Hope you recover quickly, Your princess is so beautiful, well done you for getting through that! I know what you mean about writing it but not seeming like the story does justice to the reality xxxx

wow hun that sounds like a difficult labour too.....and thank u we think so too

Nothing can really explain how it felt in real life can it x

thanks for sharing your birth story & congrats. your labour sounds very similar to mine - also ended in c-section, but fortunately I had an epi quite early on.

your little girly is beuatiful :)

congratulations hun!
sorry it wasn't a better experience for u tho xxxx

How did u go Gemabee?

She was 8lb 1oz and thanks science mum xox

congratulations :flow:, hope your looking after yourself hun x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members