short tongue affecting latch

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
I took my 4 day old little girl to see the midwife today and discussed her shallow latch.

We worked on positioning and we are just going to have to practice but the midwife did say she has a short tongue (no tongue tie) that will influence her ability to latch but tjat she should grow out of it.

But even when we achieve a good latch she slides back to a shallow latch within seconds. It's agony especially in the evening when she starts cluster feeding.

have you tried the flipple technique? have a look on youtube, it helped my DDs shallow latch which only affected one side

My youngest has no tongue tie but he has substantial lip ties to both sides, top and bottom, at a kind of 3 O clock and 9 o clock position. it's not commonly known but lip ties and tongue ties aren't always in the centre. So this really affects his latch, with him his latch was really good at first but once my milk was in I think he couldn't adjust his lips properly to control the flow and so he started slipping off and making slurpy clicking noises. It has taken a lot of perseverance but it has improved a lot, he is 4 months now and things are great xx

DD had the same. She's almost 4 mo now but in the beginning she clicked a lot when feeding and it was painful. I found feeding while lying down helped, and taking her off the breast and relatching her correctly now and then. We now have no problems and I'm wondering if she's corrected herself or just grown a longer tongue!

O saw the lactation consultant today who was really useless. Basically said that she doesn't open her mouth wide enough which I knew already but said wasn't much I could do. Its up to me if I can put up with the bleeding nipples or not and now my milk has come in it may correct itself or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->