Should I take her off the reflux formula?

SaraEmily

Mom of 2 girls
Reaction score
We started using Enfamil AR (added rice starch) when LO was a week old. She was never diagnosed with reflux, but that's what her pediatrician told us to use when we brought her in because of her spitting up.

She was fine for the first 5 days or so after she was born and never spit up, but when we switched from Enfamil Newborn to Similac Regular, she started spitting up the entire bottle after almost every feeding. Looking back, maybe this was perfectly normal, but I was a new mom and seeing my baby choke and spit up SO much milk was scary.

I know spitting up is normal, but how much? She would spit up either during the feeding, or immediately after, and we would both end up COVERED in formula. This also only started happening after switching from Enfamil to Similac, could this be why? Surely they're not that different though?

Anyway, since using the AR, she's only spit up twice in the entire 2 months that we've been using it. It's definitely working. However, LO is very gassy and constipated and is pretty much in a permanent state of straining, poor thing. And no matter what I do, the formula clogs the nipple and I can't find any bottle or nipple flow that works for us. It's so frustrating for me to keep trying to unclog the nipple, and LO gets frustrated when nothing comes out.

So I want to try a regular formula again, but I'm nervous to change her formula and possibly have the problem return. I'm so used to her never spitting up now. Should I try?

I would probably try and stick with the AR formula if its stopping her from spitting up. Have you tried a Vari-flow nipple? Or one especially designed for use with thicker liquids? I know that Dr browns and Nuk both do teats for use with thicker liquids.
With the constipation issue have you tried offering 1oz of water once or twice a day? This might help soften her stools. xx

Just to add, it's the Dr Browns Y-cut nipple and the Nuk size L nipple that are for thicker liquids x

I have a NUK bottle already so I'll try the L nipple for that one. Right now we're using Tommee Tippee with medium flow nipples. Sometimes they don't clog and the flow is perfect for her, and sometimes it's clogged up the whole time and when it's not clogged it's too fast and chokes her. The NUK bottle with the medium flow nipple didn't work at all, nothing came out. I might try giving her water, too. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

It's between a rock and a hard spot with the AR causing constipation. I don't want to tell you to switch back to regular formula, you should talk to the pediatrician about that because of the bad spit up, BUT Enfamil Newborn and Similar Regular are different in some of their ingredient makeup (not nutrition though) as Similac brand is the highest in corn syrup. It possible that the switch upset lo's tummy. What made you switch from the Enfamil to Similac initially?

You could also try mixing Enfamil Infant (just their regular kind) half and half with the Enfamil AR. It would go through the nipples a bit easier and might be enough rice starch to help keep the formula down but not too much that's constipating her.

If you do decide to back to just a regular formula though, I'd personally suggest Gerber Goodstart Gentle.

We are using aptamil anti reflux with avent variable flow teats. Lo has been on this since 3 weeks. The first few times he found it hard to get used to the fast flow of the milk and choked and drooled milk everywhere but he quickly adjusted and is doing great now.

I have this problem with LO sicking up and it's not nice. I have put her on extra hungry SMA which is thicker so it stays down better. I use MAM anti colic bottles and they work fine with this formula. I know people might frown upon what I'm about to say but because my LO got very constipated on this thick formula and she wasn't taking water I tried putting a small teaspoon (sometimes half a teaspoon) of prune juice into 4 oz of water. Worked like a charm! And because its quite sweet she'd take it. I try to use baby juices but she wasn't too keen on the apple so I got her a black current one. I am yet to try that one x

It's between a rock and a hard spot with the AR causing constipation. I don't want to tell you to switch back to regular formula, you should talk to the pediatrician about that because of the bad spit up, BUT Enfamil Newborn and Similar Regular are different in some of their ingredient makeup (not nutrition though) as Similac brand is the highest in corn syrup. It possible that the switch upset lo's tummy. What made you switch from the Enfamil to Similac initially?

You could also try mixing Enfamil Infant (just their regular kind) half and half with the Enfamil AR. It would go through the nipples a bit easier and might be enough rice starch to help keep the formula down but not too much that's constipating her.

If you do decide to back to just a regular formula though, I'd personally suggest Gerber Goodstart Gentle.

I made the switch to Similac because we had already bought a large tub of similac while I was pregnant before we knew the hospital would be giving us Enfamil, and they also sent us home with a can of that. So we used up all the Enfamil and then, after asking her pediatrician, used the Similac because we didn't want it to go to waste. I think I'm just gonna stick with the AR, though. It's worth it even with the other side effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->