should we get a (3rd!!!!) opinion?!

tiger

mum-1boy-expecting1girl
Reaction score
hi there :flower:
ill start from the beginning. about 10weeks ago, my husband my son and myself fell ill to the flu (or so we thought), well once the initial feeling like death subsided we were all left with a horrible cough! i mean coughing fits and sounding like elephants/walruses. my husbands cough got bad straight away and everytime he had a fit of it , he vommited. about a week later this happened to me for a few days. my son got over it after about 2-3weeks.
the fits are quite bad, to the point where i am gasping for air and cant breathe for about 60sec.
i went to the doctor with my son (hubby was at work) and got told it was a 6week cough.
so the 6weeks came an went and we were still havign these fits. my husband came home from work on the 6th week unable to breathe properly so i took him to the doctor and they took a swab of his tonsils for whooping cough (pertussis), came back negative and they said not to worry about it.
ok well its been 10weeks and we dont get the fits as often but they are still just as bad, have about 4 a day now. still cant breathe when having them etc.
ok tmi but my husband and i are also coughing up green phlegm :sick: :sick:
and this morning i coughed up some blood :nope:
my worry is that the phlegm and blood is coming from my chest when i cough, not my nose or anything and im wondering if i should seek a 3rd opinion? its just not going away!!! i dont think its right to be coughing up green phlegm or blood?!!
if i go back to the doctors ive seen they will say not to worry etc, as they always do! advice please????
sorry its long , please dont read and run :coffee::cry:

hi there :flower:
ill start from the beginning. about 10weeks ago, my husband my son and myself fell ill to the flu (or so we thought), well once the initial feeling like death subsided we were all left with a horrible cough! i mean coughing fits and sounding like elephants/walruses. my husbands cough got bad straight away and everytime he had a fit of it , he vommited. about a week later this happened to me for a few days. my son got over it after about 2-3weeks.
the fits are quite bad, to the point where i am gasping for air and cant breathe for about 60sec.
i went to the doctor with my son (hubby was at work) and got told it was a 6week cough.
so the 6weeks came an went and we were still havign these fits. my husband came home from work on the 6th week unable to breathe properly so i took him to the doctor and they took a swab of his tonsils for whooping cough (pertussis), came back negative and they said not to worry about it.
ok well its been 10weeks and we dont get the fits as often but they are still just as bad, have about 4 a day now. still cant breathe when having them etc.
ok tmi but my husband and i are also coughing up green phlegm :sick: :sick:
and this morning i coughed up some blood :nope:
my worry is that the phlegm and blood is coming from my chest when i cough, not my nose or anything and im wondering if i should seek a 3rd opinion? its just not going away!!! i dont think its right to be coughing up green phlegm or blood?!!
if i go back to the doctors ive seen they will say not to worry etc, as they always do! advice please????
sorry its long , please dont read and run :coffee::cry:

could be a chest infection, have the doctor listened to your chest? be careful could turn into peumonia (spelling) if it is a chest infection, my uncle had the flu and his cough lasted more than a month so he finally went to the doctors and he put him on tamiflus? then come xmas eve not meaning to scare u but he was gasping for air asking his wife to help him so he was rushed to the local hospital and in intensive care all over xmas and newyear, he was in a critical state tbh he ended up with peumonia. i wont say no more as i dont want to scare u, but yes definaltey get a 3rd opinion it wont hurt to keep on its your health at the end of the day Xx

sorry, about the coughing up blood could that of been where u been coughing for so long u could of teared the lining of your throat or something Xx

Definitely go and get help! Gasping for air and coughing up blood is never good.
Either go back to your doctor and demand help, or change doctors.

Have they tried antibiotics? Swabbed you for whooping cough (not just your husband)? Listened to your chest as rachael asked?

no they never listened to our chests, they only swabbed my husband for whooping cough, they havent given antibiotics because apparently 'its just a cough'.
but IMO if it was just a cough i wouldnt have it 10weeks later, and be coughing up all sorts of stuff!
i was worried about pneumonia also :wacko: i will go back and demand treatment or ill go to another doctor, because this is ridiculous TBH
thankyou ladies :flower:

As you are bringing up phlegm the doctors should be looking at taking a sample of that TMI(they ask you to cough the phlegm into a sample bottle)and send it off to be analysed.Then when the results come back it should indicate which antibiotics will work best to combat it.There are lots of strains of infections going round at the min and both my parents have had to produce samples then been called 2 days later and been given a prescription,week later the cough has subsided.I would definitely seek another opinion x

It sounds like a chest infection. I get them a lot, I would advise you to get a third opinion. My chest infection almost developed into pneumonia. I hate going to the doctors.

thats terrible, it sounds like a chest infection. you need to see someone else asap, its the weekend now so you could always call the out of hours GP, so you see someone new, and just say how bad you are. remember to mention the blood and phlem (sp?)

Sounds like there might be a tear in your throat from coughing so violently which might have caused the blood you saw. I would def not let this go. They should be listening to your chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->