Should we still have a free press?

marley2580

Reaction score
I'm thinking specifically of British newspapers. At the moment the only governance of their conduct is a voluntary code of conduct that is run by the newspapers. There's no requirement to ensure the stories they report are factual, there's no requirement for fair and unbiased reporting, there's no requirement for all political parties to get equal reportage. There also seems to be no legal recourse if newspapers print lies about you unless you have the money to sue them.

Our tv channels are regulated by Ofcom, that's who you complain to if you've got a problem, do we need something similar to regulate the printed press or is the principal of a free press too important to give up?

Yes definitely, The media ruins lives by writting lies and twisting words and the truth i think its disugusting, that they are able to do it and get away with it and theres not alot you can really do about it once its printed, the damage has already been done. x

yes, i think we should. I hate what I see in it sometimes but :shrug: Maybe front pages should be censored a little better/at all. like when the sun or daily fail or whoever it was printed a pic of the supposed Jon Venebals :dohh: that could have been very dangerous for the man if he wasn't venebals.

I personally only read the news from the BBC and additionally only watch Channel4 but even then they are sometimes a little :/
I think the best way to show that you dont agree with the practices of printing complete tosh is with your pocket.

I think while Britain still has an audience for these types of stories they will continue to be printed. Maybe with the fall of the News of the world, and the man who create this type of newspapers in time to come it will start to change. It took a good 2-3 decade to create the media how it is in Britain today it wont change overnight.

I couldn't agree more with the pp,

look at a paper like the sun, it doesn't have any real news inside it ( no, immigrants living in villas paid for benefits and who's sleeping with who is not news) and yet it's the best selling paper, while there is still a demand for this sort of rubbish it will be around, people here love a good horror story or scandal, I do think they need more regulating though, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be free.

I don't buy ANY newspapers either and dont understand why people buy such rubbish anyway i.e daily mail, sun, mirror etc :wacko:

I don't buy ANY newspapers either and dont understand why people buy such rubbish anyway i.e daily mail, sun, mirror etc :wacko:

I wonder the same thing! looking at some of their headlines you would think we were all going to hell in a handbasket! I wouldn't want to leave the house if I bothered to read and believe anything they say :haha:

we have the independent on sunday delivered but even so all news is a representation/interpretation of events to sell stories so it should really all be taken with a pinch of salt

My OH buys the daily star and thats prob the worst newspaper EVER. IDK why he buys it :shrug: Maybe teh sport section is good?

maybe we should start a thread in general and find out why people buy these papers we might get some good answers ........who knows LOL

I do think it should be governed by an independant body, as much as I've no sympathy for alot of celebrities or people in the public eye I do believe untruths shouldn't be printed about them. We do alot of the time make assumptions on individuals through newspapers and magazines. They need to have an overhaul of the media in general especially since the phone hacking scandals. That was never credited journalism, they should feel quite ashamed of abusing peoples private lives to that extent.

I also think the advertising world needs a shake up! Using false eyelashes on an advert selling mascara that's meant to give you that look it's wronggggg!!!

I do think it should be governed by an independant body, as much as I've no sympathy for alot of celebrities or people in the public eye I do believe untruths shouldn't be printed about them. We do alot of the time make assumptions on individuals through newspapers and magazines. They need to have an overhaul of the media in general especially since the phone hacking scandals. That was never credited journalism, they should feel quite ashamed of abusing peoples private lives to that extent.

I also think the advertising world needs a shake up! Using false eyelashes on an advert selling mascara that's meant to give you that look it's wronggggg!!!

they do this with everything! my oh is a freelance photographer and he's worked on shoots for beauty adverts and he says a lot of the time they use other products on top of it, plus its all put on by make up artists and then edited on a computer :dohh:

they do this with everything! my oh is a freelance photographer and he's worked on shoots for beauty adverts and he says a lot of the time they use other products on top of it, plus its all put on by make up artists and then edited on a computer :dohh:

It's ridiculous , some people would believe it too. Even I can get sucked in sometimes!! I hate celebrity endorsements too, as if chez cole colours her hair at home with l oreal ! Can't slag that off too much though as my dh company deals with all that sort of stuff!

I do think we need a free press, but there needs to be better recourse for misinformation and downright lies. It'd be dangerous to go down the road of over-regulating the press, ending up with only state-endorsed propaganda, but the shit that we see in tabloids is just :wacko:

As for advertising... I find it hard to believe that anyone believes adverts! We need to educate young people properly so that they are aware of the complete rubbish they are being fed and know that it in fact IS complete rubbish. That goes for rag press and ads too.

I try to explain these things to my children (7 and 5) in age appropriate terms. I want them to grow up with some idea of what's bullshit and what's not!

xx

i agree, its terrible how the papers can print anything within proper facts and they dont care, a lot of people will beleive everything they read.

i dont buy any papers either, my oh occsionally buys one for paper to light the rayburn, but neither of us even read it. lol.

^ :haha: at only using papers to light the rayburn! We pick up the Metro for free off the bus and/or train, and then use them to line the chicken coop, thus they are covered in shit :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->