Showers

LauraLu

Reaction score
Just wondering when your children starting taking showers instead of baths. My daughter will turn six at the end of July and loves her baths. It is nice because I can bathe both her and her little brother together.

However, there are times, when it would be easier to just pop her in the shower for time's sake.

I have suggested this to Madeline, but she is absolutely terrified that she will get water in her face. She hates water near her face/eyes, etc.

How did you make the transition? Any tips? Thanks!

I prefer to keep mine in the bath until they are 8 years old. Sometimes my 7 year old will shower rather than bath, but more often than not he baths. For safety more than anything.

I shower my kids, all three of them, but the way I do it is they sit down in the bath and I hand-hold the shower head and do it that way.

I don't think my girls are old enough to shower alone yet, but I sometimes take one into the shower with me when I'm pressed for time. They were freaked out about the water splashing them in the face at first too, but are much better about it now. We have a cool shower head that has one big sprayer at the top and then also a hand held sprayer. I just hand DD the sprayer and then go about my business. The control over where the water sprays makes her feel a lot more comfortable.

That said, they still prefer baths!

I give Sophie a shower some mornings to wash her hair and she's 3, but she sits in the shower and I hold the spray over her head. She loves showers. She still has a bath every night and if I'm washing her hair at night I use the shower that's over the bath while she is sitting in the bath. x

We only have a shower. Mine gwt themselves in and out now but I helped till they were 6ish. My baby can go in baby bath but have started using shower low pressure setting on her :)

I have a Madeleine too! Spelt different though! She is also six!

She is different from your daughter though she has always been a water baby and loves being underwater! She usually takes a bath with her brother, but sometimes has a shower if she sees me having one she wants to have one too!

Her brother on the other hand hates water on his face and is terrified of the shower, I don't ever force him to have one... Does madeline see anyone else showering? If she did then she might want to be a 'big girl'?

Our battle at the moment is getting Madeleine to dry herself. I want her to learn as she will be going swimming with her school next year and will have to. She wants me to dry her... I even bought a special towel from the Disney store but she still won't dry herself!

I have a Madeleine too! Spelt different though! She is also six!

She is different from your daughter though she has always been a water baby and loves being underwater! She usually takes a bath with her brother, but sometimes has a shower if she sees me having one she wants to have one too!

Her brother on the other hand hates water on his face and is terrified of the shower, I don't ever force him to have one... Does madeline see anyone else showering? If she did then she might want to be a 'big girl'?

Our battle at the moment is getting Madeleine to dry herself. I want her to learn as she will be going swimming with her school next year and will have to. She wants me to dry her... I even bought a special towel from the Disney store but she still won't dry herself!

I love another little Madeleine/Madeline! DH and I actually debated the spelling of her name for quite a while before she was born. He wanted your little girl's spelling. I thought it would confuse too many people with the additional "e" and our last name also has ten letter! HA! Looking back, I wish I had taken his suggestion with "Madeleine" because so many people mispronounce her name as "Mad a Line." :dohh:

Anyway, thanks for replying! Yeah, she is usually more times than not in the bathroom with me when I am getting showered. She'll try to peek in and talk to me, lol. She's asked me several times, "How do you not get water in your face?" I just tell her that I don't put my face directly in the water. I'm not sure she quite trusts that though, haha.

It's funny that you mention that your little boy is afraid of the water - not funny "haha", but funny because my little guy is total opposite! My Benjamin is just over two and will stick his entire face in the water - eyes, nose, mouth and all. He's not afraid at all! Funny how two children from the same parents can be SO different.

Thank you again hun! :flower:

Whenever she's ready! If she's not ready, you can't force her. If you really need her to have a shower you could utilise goggles and a shower cap to avoid the water in the face problem. She probably just needs time to overcome what I think is a normal fear. I know I hated baths and showers as a kid coz I hated getting soap or shampoo in my eyes. And I just got over it as I got older and got better at avoiding that.

I would say whenever she's ready as well... I already take showers on occassion with my LO. She's only 19mos- as it's just easier sometimes. But usually she takes baths. Obviously she's too young to shower alone- lol... but once she's a bigger kid, I'll just do what she's comfy with :) If it's easier to just bath both kids at once-- no rush.

We've been showering with our son since he was born, he also likes baths so we chop and change. The differenc is I suppose is that he is used to it and your lo isn't. Maybe try giving her the shower head when she's in the bath and letting her control it (obviously with supervision so it doesn't end up with water everywhere :haha:)

I prefer to keep mine in the bath until they are 8 years old. Sometimes my 7 year old will shower rather than bath, but more often than not he baths. For safety more than anything.

What are the safety issues with having a shower?

Freya refuses to go in the bath. I'd rather she did though as i find it easier. She will go in the shower every day but likes me or DH to go with her which is ok but she takes up a lot of room playing on the shower floor.

At rec centers they have showers after swimming... you could always try it out there after a swim and see how it goes.

That way you can show her how to not get soap in the eyes, and she'd be able to mimic you.

Mind you, depending on them, they not be the greatest shower, but it may be worth trying out.

I really can't remember what I did with my dd. Pretty sure she was a bit older - maybe 7? when she started taking showers.

I have a seven year old, she started showers this year:) so much easier:) when baby boy comes, i can bathe him in the bathroom sink while my two year old is in the tub. And my seven year old showers ever other day right before bed:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->