Sick as a dog on metformin

Rcx

Reaction score
Anyone else on this for GD? I was prescribed it on Tuesday and today have been ill, projectile vomited all over the works toilet and now have diarrhoea! I called maternity assessment who advised me to keep taking the tablets and to go to my gp for anti sickness meds. I'm totally wiped out and just wanna cry!!

Sorry you are going through this.

The metformin knocked me around for a couple of days (mainly diarrhoea and feeling very nauseous) but it did settle down as soon as my body got use th them. I also found that taking the tablets halfway through dinner was better than taking them at the end.

Thanks for the tips!! I was so sick yesterday then went to my gp on midwife's order to anti sickness medication & he refused me it, told me to stop taking my metformin and I don't even have diabetes! Total moron, obviously it's different in gestational u idiot!! So anyway, after I left the go quite upset I called back the midwives and they were so annoyed, they wanted me up at the hospital for a full check, all was absolutely fine and the doctor up there gave me the medicine!! So a total waste of my time and theirs and NHS money because my stupid GP wouldn't give me the Medicine I was told to get in the first place.... Arghhh.

Feeling a bit better today x

Your GP sound like a total idiot! I can't believe he refused to give you the meds that the midwives had requested you get! You did the right thing going up to the hospital to get checked, even if it does feel like a waste of everyone's time, as at least you have what you need now!

I'm glad you are starting to feel better today!

I've been on metformin for years due to my PCOS. It's MISERABLE getting used to it. A lot of PCOS women refuse to take it completely because of the issues. I take 2000mg a day and I can tell you it 'should' get better, it just takes a few weeks for your body to adjust.

I also took it pcos- and now have GD but no way do i want to start it again! No matter how long I was on it I did do better but always felt sick- it helps to start on a low dose and work up but I requested insulin for the GD this time- I just can't go through that again!!

I'm on 3000mg a day and boy did it take a while to settle down. It still has a tendency to give me heartburn and I can't wait to be off it in a week's time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->