Sick baby - 7 week old, some questions...

wish4baby

Reaction score
Hope someone here can help me out!

I have the flu, and after spending last night at the children's hospital, we found out my almost 7 week old also has the flu....only symptoms are a fever and lethargy.

So, question: should I defrost some of the colostrum I have frozen (about 6 oz total), and top her off with it after feeding her? Or is my current milk better because it has the antibodies for this exact sickness (since I am also sick with it).

I am waking her & feeding every 2.5 hours, then pumping once she finishes (my milk supply is diminishing b/c baby girl hasn't been nursing quite as often, although she is gaining and last night the dr said her electrolytes/hydration looks great). He also said be sure she eats ALOT, and watch for dehydration, which can happen quickly and is very dangerous. Is 2.5 hours a good time between feelings? I want her to get her rest, but eat plenty...usually I feed on demand, but with her being sick I don't trust she'll wake enough.

I am pretty much force feeding her with a syringe after she finishes at the breast. I am able to get an extra 8 ml or so in her this way. Anyways, is the defrosted colostrum good for this, you think? Or pumped, fresh milk?

Thanks!

I would use the colostrum for a top up.....it's called liquid gold for a reason. Lots of really good stuff in it.

Colostrum is high in leukocytes (protective white blood cells) that can help to protect your baby against several bacterial and viral infections. The antibodies in colostrum protect your baby against respiratory infections such as pneumonia, fluand bronchitis, as well as stomach and ear infections. Gradually, your baby will start producing his own antibodies.

https://www.babycenter.in/a1024513/colostrum-how-does-it-help-my-newborn

Thank you, I am so glad I pumped and saved colostrum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->