SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)

PstolPcknMoma

Reaction score
It's really quite nerv racking to know its a reality. Though there are ways to
prevent it, just knowing it could happen anytime without reason is scary!
I've dont a lot of research on it, its seems to be "rare", but im not sure.
Quite terrifing if you ask me, how does anyone else feel about
SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)

the thought of it happening terrifys me. even when lookin after my neice and nephew i am up about 4 times a night checking on them, and they are aged 2 and 3 so i dont know what will be like with a newborn

I think it worries all parents but you have to remember it's not that common.

I seem to remember that the biggest cause of sudden infant death is a genetic heart condition which is rarely picked up on. I think it can cause sudden death in your sleep right up into your late teens and possibly early 20's.

There were a couple of cases of it here in the UK where parents had 2 (I think) of their babies die suddenly and they were put in prision for it. Then they later found it was most likely caused by this heart condition as a similar thing had happened generations back in their family.

I think the other things they believe can cause it are baby getting too hot or cold, being in a house with a smoker or getting under their blankets and not being able to breath.

I'm very worried, I can see me not sleeping at all for the first few weeks just to check it is still breathing <3

I think every new parent worries about it. I found the site below helpful on tips to prevent SIDS.

https://www.sids.org/nprevent.htm

I think everyone does it the proding to see if they are still breathing i even used to take a mirror with me when my lil one was in the pram to hold in front of his mouth to see if he was still breathing.

There is sleep apnea (sp) which means you forget to breathe basically and it can happen in adults to but with babies its hard to pick up on (i read that this is a theory for a possible SIDS cause)

Just read up and do everything you can to minimise the risk :) it wont stop you worrying but with each passing day it is less likley. My lil one is 5 and i still prod him if he is sleeping particularly deeply when i check on him :)

I've woke up a couple of times thinking that Kaya's stopped breathing, because she's in bed with me I've reached over and felt that she's cold as well! But I've just shaken her and she's started breathing again (unless it was all in my mind lol). I find that sharing a bed with Kaya greatly reassures me that she's ok.

This worries me big time as well!! I try not to think about it.

Does anyone know what should be done specifically to prevent it?

They don't know really what causes it. There's a lot of theories out there. I go with the theory that babies are designed to sleep next to their mum and that they are reminded to breathe by feeling their mum breathe. But, co-sleeping still has guidlines that you should follow to reduce the risks. the link luckyme posted above has the standard guidelines.

Check out https://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp for info about co-sleeping

Thanks everybody for your opinions, I've mostly just found that
breast feeding, soothers, harder sleeping mattresses, no blankets, not to hot
not to cold, healthy (maintaining a good over all health), nothing to get in the
way of the babies breathing.....

I worry about this so much so does DH, i have bought a grow bag so no need for blankets and i also heard dummies are a good way to prevent it happening dunno where i heard it and how true this is though?

i know back before i was born, my brother died from sids because they thought it was good to lay him on his stomache and his lungs just collapsed so maybe try to support him so he can't roll if he's strong enough or make sure not to lay him on his stomache when he's
going to sleep.

My best friend lost her 3.5 month old daughter to SIDS in May last year. It is heartbreaking to go through and we all worried that it might happen again, so I will be getting an angelcare mat. There is no single cause, or link from case to case.

What the midwife's advice now is :

Do not put your baby in bed with you whilst they are under one year

Make sure the room is neither too hot or too cold

Do not smoke near your baby

Put your baby to sleep on his/her back in the 'feet to foot' position so that they can't wriggle under the blankets

Do not use pillows or fleece blankets in the cot of a young baby

Cot death is rare, but it does happen so if you are worried talk to your midwife

An Angelcare mat is a sensor that goes under the cot/moses basket mattress and has an alarm that goes off if your baby stops breathing. I shall be getting one just to put my mind at rest. Happily my friend has just had another baby girl and she is so much happier using the sensor mat as it just reassures her that her baby is okay.

Hope the info helps,

Redhorse xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"