Sigh.....rant? In need of encouragement?? Idk....

kajastarlight

Number 3 on the way!
Reaction score
Baby is 27 hours old. We just spent the last 6 hours cluster feeding. (Still at it) my nipples hurt, I am tired, and my milk is not in. Baby is pooping and peeing but I am worried. (As we all are at this point) Considering a supplement. Would it be so horrid to give her a few ml of formula?

No it wouldn't be horrid at all, but please remember milk typically won't come in for 3-5 days so you are well within the normal range, so it isn't necessary at this point most likely (I am not a medical professional). It's likely your babe is getting colostrum right now which should be plenty. The cluster feeding is completely normal and is what will help bring your milk in. :hugs:

Thank you, Twinky, it's so hard when she is so very tiny and I want to fatten her up! Lol I am glad she is cluster feeding and she has good wees and is pooping meconium still so I will hold off on the supplement. But I think I will ring the LC to get a weight check and make sure all is well.

Thank you, Twinky, it's so hard when she is so very tiny and I want to fatten her up! Lol I am glad she is cluster feeding and she has good wees and is pooping meconium still so I will hold off on the supplement. But I think I will ring the LC to get a weight check and make sure all is well.

Weight check wont tell you much as at this young age it is normal/expected to loose weight. Poo and wee will tell you more. In the second 24 hours you want the meconium to be turning from black to very dark green and by day three to be a sludgy colour, day 4 toffee brown and day 5 mustard. Not every baby gets this schedule exactly, but it wants to be moving in this direction. If poos aren't mustard by day 7 then that is a concern.

Cluster feeding is normal but I would expect baby to sleep as well (in catnap snatches and probably not anywhere but on you). If baby is inconsolable it might be that he/she is struggling to get enough colostrum (but they really don't need much). Do you see swallowing when baby feeds? Is the chin pressed in to your breast and cheeks round and full looking?

If you are worried you could try hand expressing some colostrum and syringe or cup feeding it rather than using formula. Im not anti-formula but there is evidence to suggest that formula in the early days strips the gut of all the "good bacteria" and immune factors which the colostrum has been putting in - which does seem a shame if in the end there is nothing wrong!

Curious if today is getting any better for you kaja? Again, don't get discouraged if your milk isn't in yet. THose first few days with all the cluster feeding is agony on the nips (I remember all too well) but it does get better!! Hang in there momma, you got this!

I think I am panicky because my last baby (now two) was diagnosed with "failure to thrive" due to being a sleepy boy and milk coming in late. (5 days)
My milk is on track that it's mostly colostrum with splashes of transition milk, but hasn't "come in" a lot. We nursed ALL DAY today and for the last 3 hours she has been popping off the breast mad as all get out. So I snuck in 5 ml of formula. (I can't express with her attached to my boob switch feeding every 5-10 min) I used a syringe and just dropped it in while she nursed. Now she is passed out on my chest skin to skin. Enjoying some silent snuggles :)

I think I am panicky because my last baby (now two) was diagnosed with "failure to thrive" due to being a sleepy boy and milk coming in late. (5 days)
My milk is on track that it's mostly colostrum with splashes of transition milk, but hasn't "come in" a lot. We nursed ALL DAY today and for the last 3 hours she has been popping off the breast mad as all get out. So I snuck in 5 ml of formula. (I can't express with her attached to my boob switch feeding every 5-10 min) I used a syringe and just dropped it in while she nursed. Now she is passed out on my chest skin to skin. Enjoying some silent snuggles :)
So glad you are having a sweet moment with your little one! I can understand why you're concerned, hope things progress in the right direction for you :)

Update: my milk is fully in now but I had the same experience this evening as the other night with her popping off the breast crying. Now I wonder if she has a bit of colic. I swaddled her up and held her in a sitting position against my chest and she calmed down and eventually zonked out. Oooh the joys of a newborn. Love that little girl so much and hate seeing her cry so much.

yay for milk!! My first daughter originally had a great latch and then my milk came it and it seemed like she forgot how to get a good latch and would pop off. So be sure you are getting her on right, and sometimes they pop off if your let down is too strong. Just keep with it, it sounds like you know what to do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->