sightwords to reading

dave05

Reaction score
My DD is 5 and rather clever. I am not worried about her reading level, but I'd love to give her a hand if I could.
She has sight-words from kindergarten that she can rattle through, however when she reads from a book, she sounds out words I know she knows. She even sounds out two letter words.
So her sight-word knowledge seems very situational. I'm wondering if there any tricks someone could offer to help me help her.

When my DD started kindergarten the teacher taught them to sound out the words as they read them. When we would read books together I knew she knew the words, but she was following her teacher's directions. It may just be a phase and she's just acting out what she's learning in class. It only lasted a week with my DD and she's now reading books all by herself with no help. I made sight word flash cards and continuously quizzed her on them.

I would keep working with her and read a book each night before bed switch to where she reads a page or 2 then you read a couple. Then she reads a little more each night. Since she is in Kindergarten, reading is new but the more she reads, the more confident she becomes. Try praising her as well.

Does your child's teacher send homework books home? Ours sends 1 homework book to read a week with new words that gradually get harder. They have really helped as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->