Skin to Skin if FF?

sweetcheeks85

Reaction score
With my first LO we had lots of skin to skin once he was born and this helped with the first breastfeed (bf for 6 weeks).

I am intending on formula feeding this time although havent ruled out giving breastfeeding a shot. Ideally maybe even giving the first feed as a breastfeed for the colostrum.

My question is if i choose to formula feed from the word go is skin to skin still encouraged? When is the first formula feed normally given? x

YES YES YES skin to skin is encouraged no matter how you feed. I had a good half an hour of S2S before my daughter was given a bottle. Just make sure you let them know your wishes x

Skin to skin is lovely for baby no matter where their milk is coming from. DS had skin to skin with OH whilst I was being stitched up and there was little chance of it helping him produce milk!!!. But it was a great bonding for them both. It helps baby regulate temperature and familiarise themselves with their surroundings by smell. It feels nice for both mummy and baby and helps with bonding.

skin to skin is not just about establishing breastfeeding- its an ideal environment for a new born to be in - it keeps them warm, and helps with bonding. there is no reason why skin to skin shouldn't be encouraged and practised if you are formula feeding. Look up kangaroo care... gives you an idea what benefits skin to skin has.

Yes you can have skin to skin with FF baby. When I had LO I was given a bottle to offer her pretty much straight away though dont be surprised if LO doesnt take much. My LO only took 5ml at 1st.

I loved skin-to-skin with Roo :) Actually think I did it more with her than with Moomin :haha: So did my DH! Quite often when Roo wouldn't settle for love nor money, he would take his T-shirt off and cuddle her against his chest under a blanket and she'd go to sleep. So sweet :cloud9:

Definitely. The important bit is S2S. How/where the food comes from has little relevance. Fantastic if you can breatfeed, and brilliant if you formula feed.

I was actually more relaxed and able to enjoy S2S time with ds when I finally accepted that the bottle was the best way for us to progress with feeding. Ds, dh and I all enjoy a serious amount of S2S time. Particularly if ds has sniffles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->