Slapped Cheek

ngozi79

Reaction score
As if pregnancy didn't bring about enough stresses!

Just had a call from my SIL, telling me that my niece (who I spent Sunday afternoon through to Tuesday morning with) has slapped cheek.

GP appointment booked for late this afternoon to check my immunity.

Bloody brilliant! :dohh:

I managed to test positive for slapped cheek at 16 weeks! I've worked with kids for 15 years in a nursery and they thought I would if been immune and you can only get it once.

I'm now 26 weeks and have to have scans at least every two weeks to check on baby. All is fine. These checks are for three months after you were in contact with virus.

Please don't worry, most adults are immune. If you aren't they keep a very very close eye on you and you get to see baby very two weeks for reassurance. X

I'm waiting for my results ( been told it will take a week ) I work at a nursery and we've just had a child with it. Worrying isn't it but sure all will be fine for us all! Glad everything is going ok for you tracyy xx

Oh no.

I was round at my uncles yesterday & he thinks his son has slapped cheek.

He has a rash on his face & bottom cheeks.

I didn't think anything of it...

Should I be worried?!

I managed to test positive for slapped cheek at 16 weeks! I've worked with kids for 15 years in a nursery and they thought I would if been immune and you can only get it once.

I'm now 26 weeks and have to have scans at least every two weeks to check on baby. All is fine. These checks are for three months after you were in contact with virus.

Please don't worry, most adults are immune. If you aren't they keep a very very close eye on you and you get to see baby very two weeks for reassurance. X

Thanks tracyy, I had blood tests to check for immunity yesterday morning. Won't get the results until Tuesday. I haven't had any symptoms of it..... if I have managed to pick it up, should I be ill like a child would be?

Fingers crossed!

Oh no.

I was round at my uncles yesterday & he thinks his son has slapped cheek.

He has a rash on his face & bottom cheeks.

I didn't think anything of it...

Should I be worried?!

You need to get to the Doctors for a blood test. If you are immune because you've had the virus before, then there's nothing to worry about. If you haven't, there is a small chance that your baby is at risk. If he already had the rash, I guess he might have passed the really infectious stage and you'll probably be fine!

I'd recommend you call your gp/midwife to ask for advice. It can be horrible for baby, very rare but a slight risk xxx

Oh this has worried me now. My sister took her little girl to A&E on Wednesday because of her rash. They thought slapped cheek but she wasn't unwell so sent her home. I know its not contagious when the rash has come out but I was with her last week when she was sent home from school with high temp and sore throat and I went with her to the Drs.

What do you think?

Could she have had it over a week before the rash appeared?

I had to be tested for slapped cheek - my test results came back as 'normal' whatever that means but the doctor didn't want to see me so I think it's good and I didn't have the rash or anything. In my last pregnancy I cought chicken pox - that was a nightmare, frightened myself to death with googling! But all was OK. Even if you get these things in pregnancy, the chance of it passing to the baby is very very low

2nd time lucky - I think you are contageous for 2 weeks prior to the rash - I would have a blood test done if I was you but it is really only dangerous between 12 and 20 weeks (12-16 is the worst time) - well that is what I read anyway. I'd gove your midwife a call

A few pupil's in my school had slap cheek (I was 14 wks at the time) a few weeks ago and after blood tests I discovered I wasn't immune. I am now signed off work until I reach 20 weeks in case further cases are discovered in school and have a consultants appointment next week to discuss the next steps. I'm worried about returning to work knowing I have no immunity. There is a huge thread in the gestational complications section which has a positive story of a woman sharing her time going through all of this which I found helpful to read. But I agree it is a hugely stressful thing to be dealing with.:hugs:

Thanks tracyy, I had blood tests to check for immunity yesterday morning. Won't get the results until Tuesday. I haven't had any symptoms of it..... if I have managed to pick it up, should I be ill like a child would be?

Fingers crossed!

I wasn't ill at all so wasn't aware I had it. But have been ill ever since, they recon has has drastically reduced my immune system. I've been on antibiotics 5 times, steroids and penicillin since mid December! X

Do we get symptoms of it?

Or does the baby just become unwell?

You may get high temp and a rash. I didnt get any signs though.

They check for fluid on the baby's organs, fetal hydrops and anaemia, blood flow. It's all done by regular scans. Are there are signs the baby has also got it, which is rare, baby may need blood transfusion in womb.

They are very thorough when scanning. My scans last over 30 mins every fortnight. X

Please if you suspect you have been in contact with the virus get it checked out with blood tests. I had my booking bloods originally tested which showed i had no immunity, then had to wait 4 weeks to see if the virus had entered my system (luckily not in my case) but felt very reassured to be signed off work just incase until the 20 week period. Getting tested will allow you to know for sure and if the worst arises then you can be closely monitored.

Having been one of four kids, mother of two children and a rainbiw guide leader many of who have both had slapped cheek/parvovirus, I assumed I would have contracted it at some point. 30% of population show no symptoms.
However a staff member had a rash which was similar and although it turned out to be fine, I had to get checked and what do you know, I have no immunity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->