Sleeping bags/blankets/what to put baby in at first?

Lillylemon

Mum to 1 little boy :-)
Reaction score
Hi girls,

Our baby is due in July so it could potentially be quite warm. Some people have said to use sleeping bags straight away as long as their head is big enough, others say to swaddle, I'm not sure what route to go down. My cousin recommended a merino wool sleeping bag as she said it helps to regulate their temperature in both summer and winter but they are pricey so I wasn't sure whether to go down this route straight away.

What do you all use?

We used sleeping bags pretty much from birth. Aisling always hated being swaddled.

Imi was born in ugust and we swaddled her for 3 months. No extra blankets, just a cotton swaddle sheet x

We couldn't swaddle - he managed to extract himself from the most escape-proof swaddle in about 3 minutes at worst. However I was thrown by my NCT teacher saying you couldn't use sleeping bags from birth as they might slip down inside. We were given a merino wool one as a present at about 2 months and it was quite clear that there was no way he could have slipped inside it unless his escape-artist tendencies extended to collapsing his head!
I love the merino wool one by the way.

We swaddled for the first few months, with only a nappy on underneath as she was born in the middle of summer and it was so hot.

We used a special swaddle bag and Id have him with just a nappy one inside as it was end of June and sweltering hot

we swaddled for the first 3-4 wks but he hated it, wish I'd gone with sleep bags sooner.

We swaddled for about 8 weeks he liked it as long as is arms where out :shrug: When he moved into his cot he went into his sleeping bags which he loves now. On cold days he still likes a blanket on him to snuggle up (he pushes this and pulls this to where he wants)

Q was a winter baby so we used a sleeping bag with a blanket. now he just uses a blanket - its warm and he doesn't seem to mind. he still wears a sleepsuit etc though.

i swaddled for about 7 weeks as seren would frequently startle and wake herself. i tried a sleeping bag from birth but found she slept much better being swaddled. only recently switched to a sleeping bag as she was getting a bit big for her swaddling blanket and had started to kick her legs out.

Dexter was born at the end of may and it was really hot, so mostly he slept in a vest or just a nappy with no blankets at all. He's used his sleeping bag maybe twice, but mostly he's just in pyjamas and he now sleeps under the duvet with me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->