Sleeping on mattress?

gingajewel

Mommy to Megan
Reaction score
Ok so we all no isla is a crap sleeper and we reluctantly co sleep as otherwise we get no sleep at all!
Well a few nights ago my oh decided to get the spare mattress from dd's bunk bed and put it on our floor, with the thought that if she woke up we could lie next to her, well the past few nights she has only woke up 2 or 3 times which is a serious improvement.
But I was just wandering is there any safety implications on this? It's a big single matress, she doesn't roll and is in a sleeping bag, so no sheets. Isla is nearly 6 months old.

Hard to say without seeing the set up but if it is right beaide your bed one thing I would do is make sure a pillow or blanket could not fall off the bed onto her. Goad it is working for you guys!

Sounds fine to me, if she rolled off all that would happen would be a fright and some crying I imagine.

My only concern would be how firm the mattress is. If it's too soft, might be a problem?

Sounds good to me :) its just like a cot without bars !! My only concern would be to be sure that she couldn't get wedged between the side of the mattress and a wall ect if she rolled off . Plenty of space either side or if it is against something make sure there are no gaps and its secure

Its brilliant she has improved !

My Lil boy slept on a mattress from 9months as he wouldn't settle in his cot. We Co slept after that but we stayed on the mattress. What ever works best for u

Lots of babies sleep on floor beds from birth and also co-sleep on a mattress on the floor from birth (and if you think of it, most babies in the world sleep on sleeping mats with their mums, not in a cot at all, and that tends to be in places with very low rates of cot death). As long as the floor space is clear, it should be fine, as in, she can't roll off and get wedged anywhere or roll onto some sort of hazard. I mean, we bedshared from birth (until 3.5, part of that time in a mattress on the floor), but definitely when we were traveling, we would just put our daughter to bed either in our bed (which was high off the ground, so probably not as safe as a mattress) or on a single mattress on the floor if we didn't have our co-sleeping cot. When she becomes mobile, just make sure there is nothing she could crawl to and get into, but otherwise, yes sounds fine.

I also am a bedsharer, I had Sophie in my bed from birth and Emma from when I was still in hospital (they provide a little sleeping pod for babies that goes in the bed with you at my local hospital). Sophie never rolled off the bed as a baby and has never fallen out of bed ever and she's 4 shortly. Mind you, she didn't roll till she was about 8 months old anyway.

Thank you all 😀 I think Isla just hated her cot (another thing to add to the list!)

What ever helps you get some sleep. We are in a dilemma at the moment my youngest won't sleep for more then a few hours at one time and then wakes for 2-3hrs at least. She hates her cot. So no Co sleep with her cot pulled alongside our bed with one side removed
So she can easily roll over to me if she wakes. This isn't working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->