Sleeping struggles at 10 years old

Kayley

Reaction score
My daughter is struggling to go to sleep most nights! She will lay awake in bed for hours and although she is trying to sleep she just can't seem to drift off.

I am pretty sure her mind is working over time thinking about everything from new schools to her SATs etc. But this has been going on for ages.

She trys listening to podcasts to help her go off which has helped occasionally.

Is there anything else we can try?

What about some white noise or classical music? Maybe she could try some basic meditations like imagining walking through a forest.....my mum taught me the latter when i was 12 as i was struggling to fall asleep at boarding school. Other thing that gelp end was aromatherapy. I had a lavender pillow that helped a lot,and i used to have lavender shower gel and bubble bath too.

nice warm bath with lavender bubble bath shortly before bed might help? Lavender is supposed to be soothing and sled-inducing.

Then perhaps a small drink of warm milk with honey, or a horlicks or something like that.

Keep use of electronic equipment and other stimuli to a minimum and don't give her anything to eat too close to bedtime.

Good luck x

Hi,

I saw this article a few months back, maybe it's worth a try. X

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...aying-between-the-lines-keep-us-on-track.html

What time is she going to bed at night and what time is she actually falling asleep?

It might be worth letting her go to bed later and seeing if she still lays awake for the same amount of time. Making her go to bed at her normal time will just lead to frustration for her if she isn't falling asleep. If she goes to bed later and still falls asleep at the same time then gradually bring forward the time she goes to sleep.
Make her room a place of sleeping only-take away any gadgets. If she uses a phone as her alarm take that away and replace it with a normal alarm clock (not a clock radio).
In the run up to bed keep it as relaxed as possible but limit tv/gadget time. I like the article the PP linked.

My oldest had similar issues- she has anxiety though, so her little mind wouldn't shut off at night- as that's when it's easiest to replay the day or think about what all needs to be done... etc... as you know.

For her reading helped a lot at night- a small light in her room, after a bath, as a way to focus on somthing else for a while- she's go to lay down a bit earlier (like an hour before she'd ideally like to get to sleep)- then read till she was tired and would turn the light off- and then listen to music and always had a fan going too for white noise.

Hope you find something that helps! It's never fun staying up later when your already exhausted! I've experienced this myself too!

I had this throughout school and it only stopped after I had my daughter as I guess I was so exhausted! But i'm a worrier and as soon as my head hits the pillow I think think think about yesterday, today, tomorrow, plans, have I forgotten this, how do I do that etc etc!

The only thing that helps me is reading, I eventually feel my eyes closing so I close my book turn out the light and go to sleep. Other things to try, limit use of tech before bed. breathing exercises and thinking of a 'happy' place. Scented candles. making sure the room is clear of clutter and no school stuff lying out coz if she can see it then she will for sure think about it.

Good luck, it's really difficult thing to deal with xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->