Sleeping too much??

wannabemomy37

~ Waiting ~
Reaction score
Yeah, you read that correctly. I'm concerned my 2 month old is sleeping too much! I can't find anyone else who can relate, as it's usually the opposite. He sleeps a ton and needs to be reminded to eat...I swear if it were up to him he'd sleep all day and night, and eat like...4 times. Otherwise I wake him after 2hrs during the day and feed him at the 3hr mark. He's 12lbs now (born 8lbs3oz) so I guess he's growing ok but I still worry!

What does a typical day look like for you mama's with 2 month olds?? Are 3hr naps ok?? How long between daytime feeds is ok??

My baby is mostly formula fed so her feedings are a bit different (I think you are breastfeeding right?). She eats every 3-4 hours during the day. She has recently dropped her night feeding so she only has 4 bottles now and I am worrying she isn't getting enough because of it. She is 12 lbs at 2 months but very recently dropped the night feeding (like in the past week or so).

She has been taking three naps, with the morning one being the longest, 2 to 3 hours. The other naps have been shorter. She is not consistent with her eating and nap times so there is no typical day but yesterday looked like this.

5am wake
6am-7am breastfeed
730am bottle
8am-11am nap
11am-1145am breastfeed
1145am bottle
130pm-215pm nap
315pm bottle
430-530 nap
615 bottle
715 bed
6am (today) wake

So they didn't eat from 615 until 6am? And ate only 6 times?

That's actually VERY similar to what my son does...
Today I'm prepping for work so he's had bottles (of breastmilk) and looked like this:
Last night 9pm breast;sleep 915
515 breast & right back to sleep
830 breast & awake
1000 2.5oz
Nap 1030-1 (I woke him at 1)
100 only 1oz; right back to sleep
Awake 130-400
300 2oz
400 2oz
Nap 4pm (it's currently 430)

My guess is he will sleep till about 530/6 and eat again (bottle), then eat again around 830/9 (breast) before bed

I really feel like he gets more from the breast but then again I'm the one giving bottles so maybe once I'm back at work he will eat more?

Glad to know that 4hrs apart could be normal too...and 6 feedings per day

I see it as 4 feedings actually because I don think she gets very much breastfeeding. It's just like a supplement to the formula (bottle) feedings so she can at least get a bit of breast milk. She's been eating 19 to 20 oz formula per day on her new 4 bottle schedule. That doesn't seem like enough... she was doing 25 ish with 5 bottles with her night feed!

Hmm well if she's getting 20oz formula plus 2 breastfeedings I'd think she's getting just about 25 then?
My son only takes up to 3oz at a time but usually only 2oz per bottle, but sometimes he feeds every hour. It's so tricky!

Hmm well if she's getting 20oz formula plus 2 breastfeedings I'd think she's getting just about 25 then?
My son only takes up to 3oz at a time but usually only 2oz per bottle, but sometimes he feeds every hour. It's so tricky!

I think your baby is eating so often because he's snacking and not doing a proper feed. I would try making sure he takes 3oz per feeding and feed him every 2.5-3 hours and not before. Sleep is not problem, some babies just need more than others! My dd2 was and still is exactly like that. Till this day we have to wake her at 10am on a Saturday morning from 7pm the night before. She's 3.

A book that I swear by is " on becoming baby wise. " it's the baby handbook! Tells you how to get on schedules etc. And it works! Check it out. I have it as a reference on my phone.

My 7 year old slept 20 in 24 until 3 month. The continued to sleep above average amounts till 6. Even now she sleeps slightly more than her peers. Shes happy, healthy and above averagely intelligent.
I can remember her being about 2 and sleeping for 16hours straight, scared the life out if me.

It happens, my newest doesnt sleep anything like it, so take it as a blessing

10 week old.
7pm sleep till 4am
3oz straight to sleep at 4.15
Wake at 7
7.30 milk 4oz
8.30 till 9.30 sleep
10am 5oz milk
10. 40am sleep till 2.15.
Milk 4oz
4.15 till 5 sleep
5pm . 3oz
6.30 3oz
7pm asleep.

This is what happened today. Not the same everyday. Formula feed.

I had a baby that would sleep round the clock if let . I used to leave her up to3.5 hours then wake her to feed . I'd need to strip her down to keep her awake !! Now she is 5 months still a great sleeper but gradually between 12-16 weeks she
Woke up lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->