Slow Feeder!!! 1 1/2 hours per feed is this normal?

TacoTime

Reaction score
My LO is is almost 2 months old (1 month premature) and it takes him 1 1/2 hours to feed. If I try to pull him off too early he gets upset. The lactation consultant said there was nothing wrong with his latch. He is gaining weight and the dr says he is healthy. Anybody else have experience with slow feeders? When did it change? I love bf him but this is VERY time consuming!!!

how r you doing it? i would go insane! when hes done his feed hes right away ready for his next one! my lo feeds for ten to fifteen min, every two to three hours. i would just try a pacifier, i think hes comfort sucking!

Has your baby been checked for tongue tie? My eldest was like this and it was only realised he had a tongue tie three years ago, and this was the reason for the extremely long feeds (1.5 hours or longer all the way through) xx

Has your baby been checked for tongue tie? My eldest was like this and it was only realised he had a tongue tie three years ago, and this was the reason for the extremely long feeds (1.5 hours or longer all the way through) xx

The lactation consultant said he hasn't tongue tied but that he has an uncoordinated tongue??? She referred me to a pediatrician. SO it never got better for you? At night he's up only once but I am feeding him from 3 - 4:30 am. I'm afraid I am going to fall asleep while feeding?

No it didn't but he had a moderate to severe tongue tie, which was only properly diagnosed when he was 6 years old, because my second youngest was diagnosed with tongue tie and I realised I had been there before, had his tongue tie been recognised and snipped at the time it may have helped. He also had a severe lip tie as well. Xx

is he actively sucking and swallowing the entire time? My LO would feed for about an hour at a time, but then i realized he wasn't actually eating - just comfort sucking. Once i figured out the difference in the two sucks i was able to unlatch him and offer a binky so that i wasn't feeding all day long.

The nurses in the hospital told me that babies do have non-nutritive sucking needs and a binky is a great way to help so that you don't become the human pacifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->