Slow feeder..please help x

Gizzyy

Mummy to Izzy <3
Reaction score
Our LO is a week old today. I was induced due to low waters and slow growth. All seems fine except we have trouble getting her to feed unless she's really hungry..
She's drinking about 2oz every 2-3 hours or so. Sometimes we have a job getting the 2oz down her. Tried changing her keeping her awake ect..
By the time we've fed and burped her it's almost an hour gone by at times..
Any tips?
She's on tommee tippee bottles using the vari flow/med flow as she didn't seem to get much out of the slow flow teats and became too tired. x
I'm really worried she's not having enough. :(

It actually sounds about right for her age. Has she bben weighed yet since birth? As long as she's gaining nicely and having lots of wet nappies id try not to worry, their appetite soon increases.

The amount and time between feeds sounds right. You mention burping, is it taking more than 5 mins to get the burps out?

We found that Lexi really held on to her burps so started using infacol which helped a lot.

It actually sounds about right for her age. Has she bben weighed yet since birth? As long as she's gaining nicely and having lots of wet nappies id try not to worry, their appetite soon increases.

She was weighed on day 5 and has only lost a little bit of weight (I was told this is normal?) as long as it's not more than 10%
Seems to have a decent amount of wet/dirty nappies.. Just hoping her appetite gets better soon.

The amount and time between feeds sounds right. You mention burping, is it taking more than 5 mins to get the burps out?

We found that Lexi really held on to her burps so started using infacol which helped a lot.

Yes! Sometimes takes forever to burp her lol. I may need to get some Infacol then.

Yes! Sometimes takes forever to burp her lol. I may need to get some Infacol then.

Try different holds as well, I move her into a different position if she hasn't burped after a minute.

https://m.kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/newborn_care/burping.html

Sounds normal to me. My LO could take an hour over 2oz at the age. Now he's a bit older he can down 5oz in ten minutes!

Totally normal. I'd recommend searching for the charts online that show you the size of a baby's tummy at different ages. At a week old, it's only about 40-60 ml in size (60 ml is roughly 2 oz), so she's taking all she can possibly fit at her age. I was BF when my daughter was born, but when we switched to FF at 10 weeks, even then she was only having 3oz at most at a time and only every 3-4 hours. Just trust her and let her tell you how much she needs. If she's finished, she's full. Just offer more when she is next hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->