Snacks!

rosie272

mum to charlie finn
Reaction score
How much snacking does your 4/5 year old do? Charlie has been snacking non stop these days (as well as usual meals). I'm really aware of starting habits like snacking constantly, so do mostly give healthy snacks but he still says he's hungry!? Obviously don't want him going hungry but just wondering how 'normal' this amount of snacking is? As an example, today he had:

Multigrain hoops and a tangerine for breakfast
Banana and cereal bar at school
Lentil soup, roll and cupcake at lunch
Box raisins and an apple mid afternoon (snack)
Raspberries and blueberries (snack again)
Big bowl of brown spaghetti with tomato sauce, garlic bread slice for dinner
Bag of mini cookies
Said he was still hungry and wanted a small bowl rice krispies, still hungry so a slice of toast - then he said he was still hungry so he's had carrot and cucumber sticks :wacko:

I realise it may be a growth spurt and his day is busy at school but do you put a limit on snacking or just let them eat whenever? He's a tall kid and weighs around 3 stone, so is healthy and active but I'm concerned he has worms or something? :haha:

He maybe thirsty? It sounds a lot of food lol, try him with some water and if he is still asking for food ten mins after he must be, but I'm used to my little one who eats like a sparrow

Rósa;33521119 said:
He maybe thirsty? It sounds a lot of food lol, try him with some water and if he is still asking for food ten mins after he must be, but I'm used to my little one who eats like a sparrow

I should really have mentioned that he drinks a lot of water and sometimes cordial too! I tried last week just to offer water any time he was hungry but it didn't work, he was still hungry!

No advise, omar is asking for food constantly those days,

My Jason eats my like a sparrow.

Half a bowl of cereal for breakfast with milk.
Lunch is a sandwich and a third of a packet of crisps.
Then if I'm lucky I might persuade him to have a fruit in the afternoon, though sometimes he doesn't want one.
And then dinner - something smallish like maybe 4 fish fingers, a few potatoes (which he usually leaves most of), and a few vegetables but it takes a LOT of persuasion for him to eat them.

Out of all my kids he's always the least hungry.

My kids are all so different when it comes to weight and food and exercise.

DD is half a stone overweight and eats a lot and is very sedentary.
DS1 is normal weight but close to the top, and eats a lot but is very active.
DS2 is normal weight but close to the bottom, and as I said he eats like a sparrow and is fairly inactive.
DS3 is normal weight and has some days where he won't stop eating, and other days when he eats next to nothing, and is very active.

My daughter (4.5) is not a big eater at all, but some days she will snack non-stop. I don't mind as long as they are healthy snacks, but if she asks for junk, and more junk, no way!

I posted about this a few months ago. DD eats like a horse. Has done for the past 6 months.

yesterday she had
1scrambled egg and a slice of toast (first breakfast at 6.45am)
big bowl of fruit, yoghurt and granola (second breakfast at 8.30am)
cucumber and carrot sticks, 3 slices of melon (10.30snack)
HM veg soup and 3 oatcakes, bag of snack a jacks and an apple (lunch at 12.30)
banana and peanut butter (2.30pm)
mince, tatties and veg (5pm)
2 wheat a bix and milk (6.30pm).

She's not a bit over weight though and I'd guess she did a solid 90 minutes bouncing on her trampoline in between playing outside all day after school. She also drank nearly 1.5l of water and juice. She's been like this for a while, I put it down to a growth spurt but it's not stopped. It's not like it's boredom as she's coming into the house to ask when she's out with friends, and she's at school. So I really don'tknow. Just keep offering healthy foods and plnty of water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->