SNS and NIP?

Celesse

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience of nursing in public using a supplementary nursing system?

DD2 is 3.5 weeks old and has a posterior tongue tie which we are waiting on an appointment for. She is currently fed EBM via a SNS. But its a really big handful and a bit fiddly to use. Wondering if anyone has had any experience of using one in public and any tips. She is off and on the breast multiple times during a feeding and the tube needs repositioning several times and often requires me to keep my hand on the boob to keep it in.

Very modest picture of it in use.

10476505_10202719638817492_3880709180989560312_n.jpg

We used a SNS that was apparently designed for finger feeding (I don't actually know what other kinds look like) that had a soft silicone bottle that held 3.5 oz. It was tricky in public, I won't lie, but I did eventually get confident with it. I would tuck the bottle under my bra or tank top strap which held it in place nicely (and it needed to be placed higher than my chest to work - gravity). Usually I would be wearing a cardigan or light jacket that would conceal the bottle but provide easy access. I'd descreetly place the end of the tube on by my nipple and secure it with a little piece of tape (I just kept the tape stuck there at all times so it was ready to go). It did get easy and I never once got a weird look (not that I would have cared!). Are you using tape now to hold the tube in place? If not I highly recommend it! We were given really fantastic medical tape from the hospital, but I'm sure the tape they sell by band-aids would work well too. I had little pieces of tape stuck all over my boobs at any given time, haha. If one lost its stickiness or I needed to tape more than one part of the tube to hold it in place, I didn't have to deal with juggling the SNS, hungry baby AND tape dispenser. Sounds crazy but it really did help me.

Hope that helps a little! The SNS saved my breast feeding relationship with my LO. I am such a fan of them!!

Yup me too, my DS had Tongue Tie, and I used SNS for about a month.

If bubs is on, and off, have you tried the next speed of tube up? Might be a bit slow and she might be getting bored/frustrated? :) xx

When I was using it I taped the tube to keep it in place. I also attached it to my bra strap to allow gravity to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->