so confused! Autism/speech delay related

marie-louise

Reaction score
ok, so here goes! My son is 3 and 5 months, he is being assessed for autism (high functioning, high iq) and has a severe speech delay. Anyway he has been in slt since he turned 2 and he has already had quite a lot of assessments. The last time he had the main assessment where they could have diagnosed him they told me they wanted to wait a few months and assess him in the pre school setting. As his speech therapist was sure he would get the diagnosis at that time, she never referred him to the language unit preschool. They can't go there if they have an autism diagnosis and there is no asd unit in our area. Anyway, we had the educational psychologist out, she went to his pre school and then came here, she was with him nerly 6 hours. Although she could see that he probably autistic, she said his intelligence is away above average. His language was her main concern. Anyway, she pretty much tried to get me to put off getting his diagnosis. She said that if the asd team saw what she did then they would probably move ahead with diagnosis, but she said that i will have the chance to say that i don't want it yet. 7he said its because then he'd have a chance to get into the language unit, although the place is in no way guaranteed and then where will he be? I also know our education board is cutting costs and don't want to put 6ney into an asd unit. Im a cynic and think that's why they are pushing back diagnosis. What would u do?

Would he be attending mainstream school? Most special needs schools would have speech therapy on site.

If it was me I'd be going ahead with the diagnosis. It would help if you if he ended up needing a statement or a place in a special needs school.

Where abouts in ni are you??

As the PP said I'd push for a diagnoses. Although it can back fire a bit. My son is slightly older at 6, got for his at around 3 and a half. But now he has a statement I feel like I'm constantly battling with the school as they see him as a child who can't intellectually cope and still making him learn the numbers to 20. He can count to 100 or more if he wanted to and he's learning his time tables with us. They are sending the really weird reading books, instead of the Kipper books which he loves, so brought him a set of them and low and behold he can read. So you might constantly be fighting the school. We're hoping to change his school next year to a special language school as he is behind in his language and they deal with a lot of autistic children, if they don't accept him then we will still be looking for a new school as his current is unacceptable.

thanks for replying! Sam2eb he is going to have to go to a mainstream school, the educational psychologist said he will be able to cope there, so it is the language unit or nothing, we are in omagh. Mummy2o, i'm sorry that you are having such difficulties with the school! You would be right to find another school, you know what he is capable of! That's what i'm worried about, that he won't get the support and understanding that he needs at school. I just want to do whats best for him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->