So how do I get my new nappies ready?

subaru555

IVF Mar '13
Reaction score
Do I chuck everything in the washing machine and wash on a 40 cycle?

Are they ready after that? Most are brand new but I have some preloved.

Thanks for any help to my newbie self! :flower:

Well, its a difficult question. do you have fitteds/pockets/aio etc? Lets assume you have a mixture of all sorts like most of us do... The outer shell of the pockets or AI2s or wraps for fitteds dont need much of a prewash. One wash will be fine just to get the factory chemicals off (same reason you should wash baby clothes before they wear them) Use a non bio detergent and DO NOT use fabric softener. I use bold 2 in 1 so they are soft as many do. Bold 2 in 1 has a clay based conditioner in it, the clay based wont affect absorbancy but the grease based ones will make the nappies less absorbant. A 40 degree was is fine. Always use 1/4 or 1/2 as much detergent as you would normally use!

But the inserts/AIOs is where the tricky bit is. If it is bamboo or hemp it will need LOADS of washed to get absorbancy up. I dont bother soaking and washing to get absorbancy up. I just wash once then be aware it wont be fully absorbant for a while. The wee helps get absorbancy up too! :lol: So like 5 washes, being wee'd in every time should get bamboo and hemp pretty close to full absorbancy (i think i read somewhere it was 10 washes but i could be mistaken) But flip SD inserts and the like are at full absorbancy straight away.

Always make sure you do a few extra rinses to be sure there is no detergent build up (rinse til the suds are away) Detergent build up can affect absorbancy, make nappies smell, and cause a rash on LO

ah! just noticed you're from stirling! My mum is a midwife at stirling hospital :D

if there are inserts on their own id soak them overnight in some water (NOT the covers as the PUL will degrade if you soak it) as it really helps absorbency (esp natural fibres like bamboo/hemp) and its no work to just let them sit and soak!....then do a 40 degree wash if you can on your machine as you've got some pre-loveds (if you wash all the brand new ones on their own, use a smidge of detergent and a 30 degree!)

what does she look like? i gave birth to hunter at stiring and i was induced for 3 days and had to stay in 2days after, i think i met them all :lol:

what team were u hun? do you remember? Err, not quite sure how to describe her! :haha:

shes got shoulder length blonde hair....sounds 'proper' well-pronounced english (even though shes lived in scotland for most her life!) :rofl:

rose team. i dont live in stirling, i live in grangemouth. not sure if i know by the description :lol: is she a student or has she been a mw for a while? a student one matches that description and so does the one who was there for hunters birth, but the birth mw was younger than the student

Shes not a student...shes been a midwife for years, shes just turned 50 so depends on how 'young' you thought she looked!

Im not even sure what team my mums on :dohh: Dont think its Rose...and its not Buttercup...hmm I really should know this!

Thanks girls :)

(I'm with team Holly now as I've just moved) - Don't think the teams matter anyway do they?

yeah depending on what team you are one of the members of your team will deliver you...every team is allocated patients to control numbers (the teams are geographically set) and organisation of notes etc and mainly continuity for patients. Although its not set in stone- if its manic you will look after patients from other teams or get called out for other teams' homebirths if all the patients allocated team members arent able to!

if there are 3 Bluebell ladies come in and Poppy team have no one...then a Poppy midwife will take a Bluebell iykwim!

ETA: my mums Bluebell!

I'm dreading going into Stirling :cry: Sorry but not heard good things and it terrifies me!

no i heard awful things as well but it was fab! very very very bf friendly!

Back to the topic...

Covers & Microfiber inserts - only really need one wash to get any residue/chemicals off.

"Organics", cotton, bamboo, hemp - may need five or more washes and dries to get to full absorbancy. You won't want to wash any microfiber in with these the first time, as the oils that come off of the cotton can sometimes cause the microfiber to repel.

Back to the topic...

Covers & Microfiber inserts - only really need one wash to get any residue/chemicals off.

"Organics", cotton, bamboo, hemp - may need five or more washes and dries to get to full absorbancy. You won't want to wash any microfiber in with these the first time, as the oils that come off of the cotton can sometimes cause the microfiber to repel.

oh thanks...I did not know that! can you wash/soak cotton and bamboo together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->